Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Is this the way it is going to be with Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

Is this the way it is going to be with Comcast?

We switched our phone & internet service from Bellsouth to Comcast about a week ago.  Since that time it has been one frustration after another.  We had to wait a week after requesting service for an installation tech to come to the house; when he arrived, he could not install in the service because no one told us the phone jack and the cable jack had to be within 6 feet of each other, so we had to wait more than another week for the installation to finally happen. 

Now we have had phone/internet outtages 2x in the last 2 days.  Yesterday I was told it was a system wide issue, and after being out for several hours, it was working again when I got home from work.  Today, we have no dial-tone; incoming calls go straight to voicemail, and there is no connection to the internet.  Calling Comcast, we are told that the earliest that someone can get out to our house is tomorrow.  I understand that there are limited techs, and schedules are tight, blah, blah, blah.  The point is that there are people attached to the other end of these services who are not only inconvenienced, but it also becomes a safety issue.  We switched to Comcast because it saved us money.  I saw someone on this forum comment that "that is why it is so important to have a secondary # to contact you with in case of outages".  We don't have cell phones; we have 3 children under the age of 5, and would like to have connection via phone and internet should an emergency arise. 

Having gone through the hassle of switching everything less than a week ago, I am not ready to simply tell Comcast to "take a hike", but if this is how our service is going to go, and this is the kind of response we are going to get, we will not be with Comcast very much longer. 
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is this the way it is going to be with Comcast?

Additionally:  It has been my experience that when a tech comes out to fix anything, they end up doing something that I very easily could have done myself without waiting for someone to come to my house. 

I wish I could just get someone at Comcast to tell he how to fix this, so that I could just do it and move on with this. 

Message Edited by SRSACRF on 05-08-200712:03 PM

Connection Expert

Are you using the old phone wires jack to connect a phone to the voip from another room.

if so the wires from the old phone service outside needs to be disconnected 
the old service has a low volts on it and it is bugging the voip

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

SRSACRF wrote:
Additionally:  It has been my experience that when a tech comes out to fix anything, they end up doing something that I very easily could have done myself without waiting for someone to come to my house. 

I wish I could just get someone at Comcast to tell he how to fix this, so that I could just do it and move on with this. 

Message Edited by SRSACRF on 05-08-200712:03 PM

Send an email to moderator_geoff@comcast.net and describe your problem or refer him to your post here...he's been pretty good at jumping on issues like this.

And you're right...it is a safety issue and not having any ability to dial 911 is a situation that to me is just unacceptable...day after day I have to deal with the issues that folks are facing when they can dial 911...I simply couldn't imagine the consequences when that ability is taken away.   I understand the need to save money when folks live paycheck to paycheck but sometimes saving that dollar could come with tragic consequences....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:  The tech just left the house (very nice and knowlegable guy).  The issue was apparently connected to a 3 way splitter in my attic.  I guess the old one wasn't rated high enough to handle the cable/phone/internet.  It was 900MHz (I don't know the rating on the new one, but everything is working now).  I will keep my fingers crossed that after the initial bumps in the road with Comcast, that there will be smooth sailing going forward. 

Thanks for all the replies.