Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Is Comcast Voice truly a landline?

New Poster

Is Comcast Voice truly a landline?

I have Broadband Security and was told the most secure method to communicate from our security box to their systems is through the use of a landline.  I currently have Comcast Voice hooked up, but it uses a modem.  Is this then basically the same exact thing as Vonage but more expensive?  Or is it truly a landline such as the standard AT&T?

New Poster

Re: Is Comcast Voice truly a landline?

One other thing to add; I live in an area that has very frequent severe storms and the power periodically gets knocked out.  My biggest fear is not having power and having no security set up because the cable lines are down.

Cable Expert

Personally, if you depend on your phone for a alarm system, I'd feel better with a landline, but then, with the remote boxes the local telco's have put in since the 90's, they are not as dependable as they used to be, as in many locations, they depend on local power to keep the POTS line up.  These would be newer area's that no longer run copper all the way to the central office, but use pair gain and other remote sytems to feed the local copper from a remote terminal.  It is very common in some area's in the last 20 years.

The best thing is to have your alarm co. install a cellular radio backup system tied to your alarm panel.

To answer your question about the phone, it is different than Vonage, as it doesn't depend on the internet to work.  The eMTA does hook directly to the coaxial cable system on a dedicated channel without needing the internet, and connected directly to the local Comcast headend.  It can certainly go down if there is a long term power outage of more than 8 hours when the battery backups for the amplifiers, finally go dead.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the insight sir.  I appreciate the detailed response.  I'm feeling a bit better about my current set up but will also look into the cellular radio backup system.  Only downfall there I believe is price since last time I inquired about it a few years ago it was quite steep.  Cheers!