Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Is Comcast Using My Phone line for it's Purposes?

Contributor

Is Comcast Using My Phone line for it's Purposes?

I'm posting this here AND am going to try and figure out how to contact Comcast directly because something very fishy, and very, very wrong is going on.

If you go online and go to your Voice option (instead of for most folks, me included, my Email option) there is a screen there that shows a history of all calls.  It shows any Voice Messages, a log of Missed Calls; a log of Answered Calls, a log of Placed Calls, and a Trash log.

I had never noticed until last week that there are literally dozens (perhaps hundreds) of calls showing up under placed calls that neither me nor any member of my family made.  And they are almost all 800 or 866 numbers.  And once I confirmed that no one here was making those calls, I started dialing some of them myself.  EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM GETS A MODEM. 

What is going on???  Is this Comcast using my phone line to do some sort of business?  Because if that's the case, that's fine with me, but you can pay me for using my phone line each time.  I'm also going to contact the FCC about this. I've tried to attach a screenshot of this, but don't know if it will work since I've never tried that here.

Joe Weakley

Round Hill, VA

Capture.JPG
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Is Comcast Using My Phone line for it's Purpos

Do you have a fax machine connected to the phone line?

Contributor

No.

Service Expert

Do you have an ALARM System in your residence?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

No, I have no alarm system.  I have no fax machines.  I have NOTHING except my phones hooked into the phone lines.  No computers.  No alarms.  No faxes. No electronic gadgetry of any kind.

And I only have two other persons living here in my house (and it is a suburban house with a big yard and thus no other possible way of lines getting crossed or something if it were an apartment building with lots of people).  The two living here are my elderly mother, who is more technilogically challenged than I am and my nephew, who has his own cell phone that he uses for calls and who, BTW, is hardly ever here anyway.  Usually all we see of him is coming home at night to shower at sleep and then getting up the next day to leave again.

I assure everyone reading, NO ONE AT THIS RESIDENCE PLACED ANY OF THOSE CALLS.  NO MACHINE OF ANY KIND AT THIS RESIDENCE PLACED ANY OF THOSE CALLS.

So, someone, somewhere, is using my phone line to place them.  And that leaves two possible options.  1) Some unknown third party has "hacked" into my phone lines to be able to use them or 2) Comcast is using them (since they wouldn't have to "hack" into anything, it's technically their "lines" the signal goes through anyway.

Now between the two, one is way more likely than the other (though that doesn't mean it's certain). 

Bronze Problem Solver

Do you have Direct TV?

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-713-9276

8007139276 TIVO/DirecTV to report viewing habits. It makes outgoing calls to this number from your phone.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-531-5602

This directTV PPV

Gold Problem Solver

Contributor

I marked it as a solution because I do have DirecTV.  But here's the thing.... DirecTV requires that your box be connected to a phone line.....   but NONE OF MINE ARE. 

In fact after reading this reply, before i replied I just went and checked the back of all four of my DirecTV boxes, and NOT A SINGLE ONE is connected to the phone line.  What the heck?

Yet those phone numbers match a lot of the calls (not all). 

How can those boxes be making calls when I didn't physically hook them up to a phone line?  I don't understand it.  When the guy installed the boxes, I explained to him there were no available phone jacks and I didn't want any new wires run, and if that meant I couldn't get DirecTV, then so be it he could leave and I would look into someone else.  So he said that technically he was supposed to ensure the boxes were hooked up, but he said that if they weren't everything would still work but I wouldn't be able to order any Pay-Per-View events, which was fine with me.  So he left them all four unhooked, and I just checked just now, and not a single one of them is attached to the phone lines.  How is this possible?  Are they somehow connecting to my phone lines through Wi-Fi???

Cable Expert

No system can dial out with wi-fi, they must be connected to the inside telephone wiring in the home or directly to the Comcast gateway.  

If it isn't a DVR, satellite box, fax or alarm system then I will add in some town's the water meter is connected to the inside phone wiring to dial in the meter reading.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

I did an online search and found

800-713-9276  Direct TV

800-531-5602  Direct TV

Do you have any children in the house?  They may be connecting a box to the phone line during he night and pulling up on-demand movies.  They won't admit to you to avoid getting in trouble with you.  I have children myself, so I speak from experience.  Check your Direct TV bill for movie charges.

Contributor

Okay, mystery solved.   It's my fault.  When I looked on the back of the four DirecTV recievers, one had a wire running out of it but I thought it was an ethernet wire for the "On-Demand" thing because as I stated, we had no phone jacks available.  Well, apparently DirecTV has some sort of  wi-fi like way of dealing with that, because this line wasn't an ethernet line, it was a phone line, that goes into a "phone jack" that is plugged into an electrical outlet.  That's right, this thing is plugged into the electrical outlet.  So I asked about it, and it turns out it's some sort of "remote" phone jack that communicates wirelessly with the phone line via a reciever that is plugged into the phone line.  I did not know (nor authorize) this, but apparently my mother did w ithout my knowledge "in case I wanted pay-per-view." 

LOL, here's the funny thing.  We've had it for YEARS and I've never seen a single pay-per-view show up on my bill, so apparently she really didn't need to. 

Sorry for this whole thread.  My fault. 

But, just to add one "quirtk" that I find funny.....  Every since I started this thread there have been ZERO of those calls made.  Not ONE, despite them occurring daily and sometimes more than once.  The last one of those numbers showing up on the placed calls list is from Aug 29.  And that was me when I was trying them and discovering they were computer modems. 

Strange.

Valued Contributor

When you started asking around if anyone was doing this, they got afraid they were in trouble, and stopped using the On-Demand feature.

Regular Contributor

yup def agree ^^^ they may have not be even purchasing anything, but by just viewing the available content it would have to send that signal (aka make that phone call) glad you figured it out though