New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Internet fine but telephone doesn't work

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Internet fine but telephone doesn't work

Recently activated a new modem to take advantage of higher Comcast speeds. The internet connection works fine, but my telephone line is not working despite being connected in the usual manner. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: Internet fine but telephone doesn't work

The ability to connect to the internet, or your modem/eMTA saying it has internet connectivity isn't in play. Comcast Digital Voice isn't a VoIP Service. aka "Voice Over Internet Protocol".... It runs over the coax cable wire, outside to the tap, into the Comcast network, where their system switches the phone call to the PSTN (public switched telephone network), and vice versa (for incoming calls).

If your phone services isn't working:

Unplug the power from your modem/eMTA, old the little button the back of your eMTA (modem) for 10-15 seconds, and release.

Plug the power cable back in. Wait for the lights to go solid.

Plug a telephone directly into the eMTA and check for dialtone and ability to place/receive calls.

If it doesn't work, contact Comcast via the live chat on their website, or 1-800-COMCAST.  This is a customer to customer forum, and they likely won't reply to you here.

View answer in context
New Poster

My telephone isn't working. just set up a new modem what do i do now.

New Poster

The internet connection works fine, but my telephone line is not working despite being connected in the usual manner. Any suggestions?

Regular Contributor

The ability to connect to the internet, or your modem/eMTA saying it has internet connectivity isn't in play. Comcast Digital Voice isn't a VoIP Service. aka "Voice Over Internet Protocol".... It runs over the coax cable wire, outside to the tap, into the Comcast network, where their system switches the phone call to the PSTN (public switched telephone network), and vice versa (for incoming calls).

If your phone services isn't working:

Unplug the power from your modem/eMTA, old the little button the back of your eMTA (modem) for 10-15 seconds, and release.

Plug the power cable back in. Wait for the lights to go solid.

Plug a telephone directly into the eMTA and check for dialtone and ability to place/receive calls.

If it doesn't work, contact Comcast via the live chat on their website, or 1-800-COMCAST.  This is a customer to customer forum, and they likely won't reply to you here.

Regular Visitor

This issue was resolved when I chatted online with one of your staff.

Thanks,

Morris Taggart

Connection Expert

tbonecopper wrote:

Comcast Digital Voice isn't a VoIP Service. aka "Voice Over Internet Protocol".... 

FWIW, it does indeed use the VOIP protocol but the implementation / methodology is different / proprietary compared to third party VOIP providers. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Quite true, it's a managed VoIP service that would be more carrier grade than Vonage or Ooma, for example. Across the cable network until it hits the PSTN it is a form of VoIP over Cable Smiley Happy Definitely not traditional tho. 

New Poster

I just got (8/16/13) a new 2 line wireless Xfinity ARRIS Modem TG862G/CT. It has 2 telephone inputs  L1 & L2.  It replaced my old slower ARRIS that had 4 telephine inputs L1/2 , L3/4, L3, L4. 

My original setup was an RJ11 with 4 wires going was plugged into L1/2 input and the another RJ11 with 2 wires going onto it was plugged into the L3. NOTE: I have 3 line in the house: a main voice line, a 2nd voice line and a fax line all with different phone numbers.

Comcast activation got my internet to work on this new Modem but could not get any of my phones to work...

My question is can this new modem be provisioned by Comcast to work in my new Xfinity Modem with only L1 and a L2 input or do I need another type of Xfinity modem with L1/L2, L3/4, L3, L4 like my old Modem.  Activation says I need a 4 line Modem but Tech support says activation can set up the new modem line by activating the combine lines individually. 

before I spend anymore time I want to know which Comcast group is right??

New Poster

Question answered:

I just spoke to an Xfinity installer that just happened to be in my neighborhood.  He told me straight out ... a 3 line home setup CANNOT use the new 2 line wireless Xfinity ARRIS Modem TG862G/CT.  He also said Comcast has no NEW 4 telephone line Modems presently. 

The only option, if you have over 2 telephone lines is to stay with you old ARRIS Modem.

New Poster

I have no telephone..My phones say line in use, but they are not. Instead of a dial tone, I get a hissing sound. The phone light on the modem is blinking. I tried unplugging the modem and phones, and plugging them back in..Still just a line open hissing static sound

New Poster

did what you said, still no phone

Official Employee

Is your phone plugged directly into the modem so you are bypassing your house wiring?if so and you still hear it call in to get the modem reprovisioned

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

my phone is telling me check tel line

Frequent Visitor

How do i get my new phone activated?

Frequent Visitor

How do i get my new phone activated?  lewcite@comcast.net

Regular Visitor

Morris,

I'm having the exact same problem so I took your advice and contacted the Comcast team.  Forty five minutes with "gentleman" who answered and now 20 minutes more waiting for a tech to call back.

Wish you had provided the tech's name who helped you!  Smiley Sad