Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Insufficient Signal for Modem - Dropped Calls

Regular Visitor

Insufficient Signal for Modem - Dropped Calls

Since becoming an xfinity (hereafter "comcast") business voice customer in August 2009, I have repeatedly experienced dropped calls and poor call clarity.  Finally, over 3 months ago, a tech that visited my business (and each tech thereafter) opined that there was not enough signal strength entering the office building to supply voice service.  The modem resets itself to begin searching for the signal, which results in dropping the call. 

I bill by the hour so it works out well for my clients.  I have to speak fast or risk a drop and the resulting embarrassment that I have not yet acquired Alexander Graham Bell's new technology.  Not very courteous, but quick and very unprofitable.  Now, for almost 2 years, I have paid for phone service that comcast is, and always has been, incapable of providing to my building because of insufficient signal.

I'm now waiting an additional 5 days to hear back from someone higher up the food chain at comcast to determine their wise course of action.  Given that each of the recently visiting service techs have said there needs to be a new line run to the building, I'm hoping comcast can somehow obtain said information within that time frame (no intervening holidays).  Hopefully I can remain in business while waiting on their decision (and action?), because comcast always said we will discuss credits once the issue is resolved.  Comcast is putting off that discussion like they have terrible news or something - my dog is alive, so I'm ready to get on with it.  And I sure hope they don't act like a credit is a gift as they have in the past.  I wanted to give comcast my money in consideration of them providing reliable phone service.  It's called a contract - and breach.  So when comcast says "credit" what they mean is "d_a_m_a_g_e_s", but they probably don't like that term and it may even get flagged as inappropriate.

I continue to pay my comcast bill and I guess I'm now a gambling man.  I'm not sure whether to take the number of months/years that it takes comcast to run a new line to my building, or the number of months/years of service that they might offer as a credit for accepting my payments without providing service.  I'm not bringing in new business like I used to (I have at least 1 cause in mind) so I'm leaning toward betting on comcast taking longer to run the new line.  I wonder if the credits will be transferable so that I can put them on craigslist once I'm out of business.

I see the typical response from a forum admin is to ask that I call or email someone at comcast.  I have a file 2 inches thick of notes from such calls.  I'm posting because: I don't get put on hold after 30 minutes, only to be transferred to someone that starts off by asking what my phone number and issue are; I have to call comcast from my iphone (did I mention my business lines don't work) and comcast outlasts an iphone battery every time; I don't like being mean to customer service rep.s; and I don't want to hear, recite or write down a "CR #" or "ticket number" ever again - can't I trust comcast that the phone/service call really took place.

Peace Out and Thanks to: all those service reps who I didn't take the time to write down your name but you took my verbal beatings valiantly back when I thought each call would be the last one necessary; and Mary; Denise; Michael; Justin; Mark; Buddy; Ryan; Dwayne; Rob; Brock; Demetrius; especially Brian (returned a call to me on 5-25); and Gary O. who can email and is my man currently working on pulling rank to make things right.  Go Gary, go!

Cable Expert

Re: Insufficient Signal for Modem - Dropped Calls

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified of your continued CDV service issues.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

This forum admin only ask you email me so I may get this issue addressed. Please send me your acct and phone number in a Private Message.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

@ComcastLarry - I had an tech visit my office at 9:12 a.m. today (although scheduled at 8 a.m.).  He called his supervisor because he was not able to drop a new line to the building.  The super said that he had placed the construction order to drop a new line but that the order was awaiting funding.  I would have appreciated knowing the order was ever placed and when.  What "funding" am I waiting on?  Comcast has always treated my lack of service as a "techinical" issue.  Is this a technical issue?

Tags (2)
Regular Visitor

Comcast confirmed that the signal provided by the current line to my office building is insufficient to accomplish a telephone call.  However, comcast can't seem to get its subcontractor to call them back concerning when a new line can be dropped.  At least that's the story for now.  I last heard from Comcast on Monday 6-13-11 at 9a.m. to advise me that they are waiting.  I'm waiting.  And using my cell phone.