Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Installing new DOCSIS 3.0 with EMTA modem

New Poster

Installing new DOCSIS 3.0 with EMTA modem

... when I chatted online with Comcast a few days ago - while using my old modem - to give her the MAC address of the new modem.  She told me to turn in the old modem first and then call her back to get the new modem working.

I asked her if my Comcast Digital Voice would be working so I COULD call her back.  She assured me that the phone uses EMTA.  Does the EMTA have an address, too, that you need to know?

Is it true all I'll have to do is connect the cable to the modem, the modem to the phone, power up the modem and the phone, and call Comcast to coordinate my broadband connection to the internet?  Will the phone work before getting the modem to work?

I am having a hard time understanding that one.

Problem Solver

Re: Installing new DOCSIS 3.0 with EMTA modem

I can't imagine that it will work smoothly,  once a comcast person told me to reset the modem, during a chat which went through the modem, and said, of course that won't disconnect the chat, which is impossible.

Of course it disconnected the chat.  Finally only a technician could get the phone to work by calling some secret number in comcast that could connect the phone to the modem.