Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Incoming Faxes

Frequent Visitor

Incoming Faxes

Since using Xfinity Voice mail where I can see Voice Mail messages on my email which is a service I like very much.....................now.....................the PROBLEM IS...... I cannot received INCOMING FAXES. Outgoing faxes are fine. But when someone faxes me, the call is NOT picked up by my fax machine (which is connected correctly and hooked up the same as it was BEFORE this Voice Mail message service was in use), but the call goes to VOICE MAIL, which says the caller did not leave a message. I DO NOT want my incoming faxes to go to VOICE MAIL services, I would like the incoming fax to go to the FAX MACHINE. How can this be fixed other than my going back to using my in-house non-Xfinity answering machine? Progress does not mean we have to move BACKWARDS!! Thanks to whomever can help with this.

Service Expert

Re: Incoming Faxes

jmoon291 wrote:

Since using Xfinity Voice mail where I can see Voice Mail messages on my email which is a service I like very much.....................now.....................the PROBLEM IS...... I cannot received INCOMING FAXES. Outgoing faxes are fine. But when someone faxes me, the call is NOT picked up by my fax machine (which is connected correctly and hooked up the same as it was BEFORE this Voice Mail message service was in use), but the call goes to VOICE MAIL, which says the caller did not leave a message. I DO NOT want my incoming faxes to go to VOICE MAIL services, I would like the incoming fax to go to the FAX MACHINE. How can this be fixed other than my going back to using my in-house non-Xfinity answering machine? Progress does not mean we have to move BACKWARDS!! Thanks to whomever can help with this.

Couple of questions...

1.  Is the phone line a "shared" line?  Meaning you use this for both Voice & Fax?

2.  Is your VM service a new addition to your services?

It's okay to use a FAX machine on a limited basis, but if the FAX is needed all of the time on a shared line it is best to dedicate a second phone line to it .  The FAX cannot differentiate between a human caller and another FAX device and the VoiceMail system shares that same logic.

Options:

1.  Ensure the FAX is set to pick up before the automatic transfer to the VM system.  You may lose important voicemails because in this option you are having the FAX intercept all calls.

2.  Call Comcast and add a second phone line, dedicating this to your FAX machine.

3.  Call Comcast and request to have your VM feature disabled, and go back to using your personal answering machine if that worked for you before. 

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names.
Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon