Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

INSANE - PORTING ISSUES

New Poster

INSANE - PORTING ISSUES

So I've read that this issue has happened with others, but I thought I'd add my tale to the mix. I have been a Comcast customer for about 1 - 1 1/2 months (honestly don't remember the exact start date). What I do remember are the numerous (& I mean NUMEROUS) calls to Comcast (& even my previous phone provider, Windstream) to have my number ported from Windstream to Comcast. I dumped DirecTV & Windstream to go with Comcast & save some on phone, tv, & internet bills. So far, all has been great, but it's been a bad move on the phone part. I have been connected to insane amounts of customer service people with Comcast......so many that it's not even funny anymore.

I originally called back in April when we first got our Triple Play bundle installed. I called once everything arrived (self install kit) & was told by two different custom service people that it was ok to activate my tv & internet, & put a request in to port the number from Windstream. I thought "great, this is all going well so far"...........WRONG. Everything else set up easy & great. Then came the porting issues. First off, we were told that someone would call us for 3rd party verification. Never got a call. Had to call them back on my day off, wasted half the day on the phone, & finally did the 3rd party verification. I thought things should be good & they told me to call back to check on the porting. When I called back on the date they gave me, I find out that the thing had been CANCELLED. Fantastic! So I'm ticked & try to find out WHY it was cancelled. No one can tell me why. I am then told they can help me do the 3rd party junk again. I do & think we're done. I call again, same junk. Cancelled.

This porting BS has been done and cancelled about 6-7 times now......I've done the 3rd party verification about 3-4 times now (when I was told it should stay in the system for 60 days--news to me!)......& I just called them 3 days ago AGAIN to have this mess taken care of. They have been telling me that my number is 99% ported, but that last 1% is the incoming calls & it can't be ported until Windstream releases the number. I now have two phone services.......my main Windstream service that I can make calls on & receive calls on.......and my Comcast phone service that uses THE SAME NUMBER, but I can only make outgoing calls (I can't recieve incoming calls still). I just got off the phone with them AGAIN (the guy put in ANOTHER request to port) & I've now been told to call tomorrow to check confirmation that Windstream will release the number on the 29th. I was then told to call back Tuesday to have my number activated completely on Comcast.

Problem is, why do I not believe a word they've told me? I've been told this numerous times......and I'm talking maybe 20 calls & on each call I've made, they've transferred me to different departments. I basically speak to anywhere from 2-6 different people each time I call, giving each one ALL of my same info over & over & over again. I feel like a broken record. It's gotten beyond old. I'm happy with my service (tv & internet), but this phone mess has me wanting to bang my head into a wall. If this doesn't work this coming Tuesday, I'm asking for a new number completely & cancelling my Windstream service. I can't pay BOTH bills (already done it last month & now this month). It's all complete BS & I don't know who or what to do to have this issue fixed. All I am told is what I posted above & the obligatory "I'm very sorry for your inconvenience"......dude, it's more than inconvenient. I work all the time & I've wasted my days off making dead-end calls that have gotten me no where for the past month or more. I want it taken care of!

I'm about to lose my cool with them on the phone over all of this. And another thing.....I'm being transferred halfway around the world on most calls, then when they wanted to connect me to my "local" Comcast office for help, they patch me through to someone in South Carolina......I'm near Atlanta. Nice job!

Any help is appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Re: INSANE - PORTING ISSUES

Same here, been going at it since March 27th...  I'm calling their porting department today and getting an exact reason for the delay and an exact date I can expect a resolution.  If they can't provide me with both or don't meet that date I'm gone.  I'm through being jerked around.  I'd recommend you do the same.

The porting department number is 1-877-397-9735

New Poster

Thanks for the info. I finally got fed up with it all & even wasted another day full of calls to numerous people there who couldn't help me. I decided to drop the port request & take a new number......& even then, that got screwed, thanks to the guy building the wrong #. He had two digits backwards. FINALLY got that resolved with a very helpful/nice lady & now have phone working. Called & cancelled service with my previous provider & as of tomorrow (today now), I'll be good to go after all this time. We even spoke with the porting dept. numerous times & we were always told it was either cancelled or that our previous provider wasn't releasing the #, even though we had called our old provider BEFORE calling them & they told us it was ready to be released & Comcast needed to go with it (or something along those lines). Anyway, it's all said & done. Even though it's not what I originally wanted, I'm happy it's DONE. It was a HUGE pain, but I did manage to get a cut off my last bill for not having any phone service for the two months this mess went on.

Frequent Visitor

Had to do the same.  Apparently it took them two months (a full month past my 30 day "satisfaction guarnatee") to tell me that I'm in a new rate center and they can't port it.  I called to cancel my service only to be told I'm under contract even though I haven't signed anything nor authorized anything verbally.  I'm amazed at how quickly I went from completely satisfied to completely dissatisfied...

New Poster

On 7.16.12 I contacted Comcast to port over my Windstream number and replace my comcast number.  I went on vacation and came back to no phone lines on either end.  Contacted Comcast and they stated Windstream rejected the transfer.  Contacted Windstream and they never received a request.  What Comcast did was fail on the request part and disconnected my service.  Spoke with Comcast (after 1 hour on hold) and they lost my original comcast number and assigned a temp number and we started the porting process.  Windstream provided me a porting code and I provided this to Comcast.  Another week goes by and I'm able to call out on my Comcast line and it shows my old Windstream number.  Great I think until we can't receive calls.

Called Comcast tech support and they stated they need to send out a tech.  I laughed and stated I'm an Network Engineer and specialize in VOIP.  This isn't a client side issue that a tech can resolve but a Comcast internal issue.  After another hour on the phone, I'm moved to porting and they stated "Windstream rejected the porting".  Really, cause I'm able to call out with the old number via comcast.  They told me to call tech suport again.  I demanded they do a three way call with tech support.  After another hour on hold, I'm in a three way call with tech support and porting.  Tech support states they have not finished the codes for the inbound and promised I would have inbound working in 1 hours.  24 hours later, no inbound.  I call Comcast and the guy with the indian accent (from India) and states "You need to call Windstream and have them reactivate your account because they rejected the porting".  At that point I had enough.  Asked to speak with someone who could speak English where I could understand.  Before the transfer I stated, this issue isn't Windstream, I'm not calling Windstream and they need to have this fixed today.  Durning the transfer, the hungup (typical).

Now I'm about to call and speak to another supervisor.  By FCC guidlines, once a port request is made, they have 24 hours to complete, not 7 days.   If this isn't resolved, I will be contacting FCC, local BBB and filing a claim with small claims court.  I now have around 6 hours of phone time to port over. 

Comcast, you have been terrible.  I will make this issue public.

On another sad note, I'm billed the entire time for phone service by Comcast. 

New Poster

I got some info from your post. I didn't know Windstream was the phone port, they don't say that when calling from NJ.

I too, have been going round and round for weeks since signing up for Triple Play. I really don't need the phone service, but they include it or they won't give the service. So I asked for an independent new phone number (from a feeling that problems will usually happen.)

Soon after signing up, an operator called that was recieved by my wife, who is well aware of pfishing scams. Without identfying what she was about or what company she was with, someone asked what our phone number, social secutity number or year of birth. My wife immediately hung up. This triggered a rejection of the Comcast phone service, and they shut off my computer modem. I called service and went through the process of getting it working again.

A while later, a verification page popped up on my secondary Linux computer with SeaMonkey browser, but it didn't show on my primary Windows 7 computer with 64-bit Explorer. I couldn't verify the number as I didn't have one because they never told me what it was. So my computer service was shut off. I called to get it back on. I was shunted to another helper and told what my phone number was. I got a call from the 911 service and had it verified.

A week later, still no DVR & vice modem shipment. I called Comcast service and was told the number I had veified wasn't verified, so I was given a new number. Another 911 call had that verified.This time, I asked if help desk had a verificataion of my verification that the number was now mine and the shipment was set up. The helper told me that the order had gone to the warehouse; but there was no verification as yet to send it from the verifier, (which is Windstream) The helper arranged for an overnight shipment and told me she would call back wihen 911 verified and release the shipment.

No call back, so I called Comcast again, explained the problem, and another helper said he'd check for verification and let me know. No verification call back that day.

The next morning I called Comcast. She shunted me to an IT help desker, who called and emailed several places, including the floor supervisor and KAG - which is Comcast IP Services. He said he'd call back. He did call back and while talking got an email, so he informed the helper from two days before who was going to call me back to call me back. She did and verified that the phone number was active and the shipment was going to be here Monday. (I'll wait to see THAT.)

Much of this problem is from Comcast not having Service Ticket Numbers that follow the customer through the various departments and companies to resolve an issue. The Windstream computer verifiers can't speak to people, and the human verifiers can't say anything but the verification process, which must be a job to drive them nuts. At the very least, the 911 operators could send complaints to help deskers with a ticket number related to the customer.

In all, the process is poorly thought out with a seemingly high degree of not caring from floor supervisors. It probably is never heard in their meetings, although it's getting all over the internet, especially on this forum, which is an internal forum.

TIME TO WAKE UP!

New Poster

I am currently on the phone with the activation center.  I have now been on the phone for 70 minutes trying to correct this.  I had Comcast add phone service on August 2.  In order to add that, I mistakenly tried to do via the chat line--took me 2 1/2 hours--a waste of a day sitting at home waiting for this to go through.  The technician came out, did a wonderful job...BUT, they did not port my old number.  I called that afternoon and spent another hour on the phone and was told it would take a week.

Here it is...9 days later....my phone will call out with the correct number, but will not receive calls at all.  Now I have been on the phone with them for 70 minutes already--currently on hold again--and they are trying to correct it.  My suggestion with this post is this---If you are calling to get help with this issue, make sure to tell the person you are talking with to call you back.  I was disconnected twice, had to re-call and re-explain twice (so far, I just got put on hold again...ugh).  I have spent way too much time for what I would think would be a fairly simple correction--they do this a lot, don't they?  I have already spent over 4 hours on phone or online and it's getting old.  I am now with the activation department, and at least he asked for a different call back number in case we get disconnected.  My frustration would be much less if the other two guys that I got disconnected from would have called me back.  So now, I was just told that it would take 5-7 business days to port the number...I just told him it has been 7.  Then he said, "It could take up to 10."  So, I will wait, and hope it goes through so that I don't have to waste another hour and 20 minutes on the phone.  Cross your fingers everyone!!!!

Bronze Problem Solver

Send an email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

They helped sort out the porting and e911 verify issues I was having.

New Poster

Got the overnight shipment the Monday after the Friday call. There were two DVR setups in the box, but no voice modem. I used the HMDI cable to the flat screen TV.  I followed the instructions to set up the DVR cable box and got to the last step.

The instructions said that if there were 4 dashes on the display, call Comcast service to get help. I did so telling hom I got two DVR cable boxes and no voice modem.. The tech went through the checking of connections to the TV cable box with no success. I swapped in the second DVR cable box and got the same result - 4 dashes.

The tech then realized that I had told him that I recieved two DVRsl but no voice modem in the shipment. That was the cause of the problem, the new cable box can't be authorized without the missing voice modem. A service call is scheduled for tomorrow, where the serviceman is supposed to have a voice modem with him so all can be authorized.

(As stated in the above post, I made sure that I had a NEW phone number for the phone service, as I could foresee having no line phone service for a few weeks as such problems seem to be frequent with Comcast.)

So my older cable TV box is back working without having to be authorized until the next episode.

New Poster

More silliness.

I received a phone call that didn't identify on the caller ID, Usually, I hang up after a few seconds of no sounds; but this time I hung on during a long delay. Lucky move, as I usually hang up when I hear a blank, as half my calls are SPAM, ads, pfishing, and crooks.

It was an automated call telling me that the service person that had been scheduled previously with a live service person was coming and to confirm that, I had to press a telephone key. The recorded voice then told me that if I hadn't confirmed THIS call, the service person wouldn't come.

Why a customer has to confirm again that the serviceperson that had been scheduled before is supposed to come is a mystery. Perhaps, it's a planned way of screwing up again so the service department has to to make a delay to reschedule another day?

New Poster

I sent an email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com about 2 weeks ago with no response.

I have filed my FCC complaint.  By law, they have 24hours to comply when you request porting.  I'm well over 1 month with no phone service.  They lost both my comcast phone number and my windstream phone number.  It's is wonderful to receive a bill with no phone. 

New Poster

Just to add on to all of this love fest: Quick back story: Have vonage and due to their increasingly fee for this fee for that decided that I could get the same service (so I thought) through comcast at a lower rate. I called back in april and was told they could port my number "We'll have in done in a week" (worst case). Called back in a week; cancelled. Start again and much of the same issues as the initial customer. I kept getting dropped and nothing gets ported. On three separate instances I was on hold for 3 hours or more ( I know my own fault staying on; It's easy to deal with on a speaker phone and working on the computer). Finally today someone finally gave me a reason that I couldn't be ported. It had to do with E911. ??? huh???

Can someone please explain to me why every other carrier (vonage , verizon, MAGIC JACK etc...) can port a number over (anywhere in the world not just local) and deal with the E911 issues but Comcast can't? Isn't it just updating the E911 databases to reflect the appropriate addresses so that it gets routed properly.. If these somewhat smaller networks can handle it why cant Comcast? Or am I missing something ????

Finally decided to take a temporary number until they could get things fixed. Whoever had this number before me was in a world of hurt. I get 3  - 6 calls a day from creditors, marketing etc... and can't get rid of them. Now I have to get another number just to get rid of this issue.

This has been a lengthy and somewhat silly excersize over a couple of numbers.

New Poster

Comcast verified that my schedule was supposed to be today by phone. Then yesterday, an automated voice called to verify that a service was scheduled. Then today the automated call asked again to verify the scheduling. At any step, if I hit the wrong key, or didn't wait long enough to see what the caller ID unidentified call was about and hung up before the recording came on, the service call would have been cancelled, so I'd have to set up another schdule with the same precedures. SO - MAKE SURE YOU WAIT A LOMG TIME LISTENING TO NOTHING BEFORE HANGING UP.

The tech came to install the Trinity cable box with DVR and Hi-def.He cut and installed a new splitter and cable ends to make sure of good contact.

He tried both boxes sent to me to find that neither went through download. He then told me that often happens with self-install kits sent out. One of the boxes had a leg missing. He went out to the truck and got a box he knew would work and got it hooked up.

He then got a vmodem box from the truck, hooked it up, and waited half an hour for the modem to function. It didn't so he then got another vmodem from the truck and waited, no response. He then met another serviceperson in another town and got a vmodem.. Afrer another half hour, making call checks, it functioned, so he could leave after 4 hours of work.

He had no room in the truck to take the big boxes away and couldn't take the 'extra' cable box that wasn't on the work order SN SACBZJMWS. I must UPS the box prepaid back. The tech suggested that I NOT take the package to the local Comcast office; because they might not have the paperwork to recognize it's returned. If I can catch a UPS truck going by, he might take the box with the return label attached. Otherwise, I will need to go to a UPS store that is farther than the local Comcast office to have them ship it. The alternative is to pay Comcast $5 to $13 to pick it up.

The bottom line: DON"T GET A SELF-INSTALL KIT. It's not worth the wail. You will do better to schedule a service tech, so it is a half-day affair if you can stay home from work ot get someone to wait (and tell that person to wait on the phone listening to nothing until they are sure it's the service call verification or not that day.

New Poster

I agree with all of the cases below. Mine is the same 2.5 months trying to get my number ported from windstream and it is still not resolved.

I hope you are reading this before you make the decsion to go with the tripple play

expext - dissapointment and misery

Connection Expert
Moved:

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert

Three year old thread closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon