Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

I have been completely bamboozled by Comcast!

New Poster

I have been completely bamboozled by Comcast!

This is the worst choice I have ever made in phone service.  None of the features work!  I have had my phone number for about 8yrs (always unpublished and unlisted), once I switched over to Comcast,  I was blown out of the water with the amount of anonymous calls and telemarketing calls!!!!  Using the anonymous call rejection feature, calls are still coming through.  Each time I call Comcast, I am passed around to 3-4 CSR's, and no one has a clue!  It's 15-30 frustrating minutes on the phone each time.  They must be selling our numbers to VMS!!! but denies it.

There has got to be a law against false advertisement.  Wait, isn't called theft by deception.  There is no way that the whole company is clueless.  Granted it is one thing to read a script, but to provide the service you promise must be close to impossible.  I am on the DONOTCALL.GOV list.  It's almost like playing catch me if you can.

HELP!!!!!!!

Service Expert

Re: I have been completely bamboozled by Comcast!

If you're on the Do Not Call list, make sure that you've renewed it.  I think you have to renew it every two or three years.  And, if you're getting the calls and they're not from Comcast or some other utility or service you subscribe to, then report them to the Do Not Call list.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

A registration on the National Do Not Call Registry is good for 5 years ( https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx ).  Since the registry did not start until June 2003, no registrations have expired.  In any case, that has nothing to do with the OP's issues:

1.  Why did switching to Comcast telephone service result in an increase in telemarketing calls despite being on the National Do Not Call Registry?

2.  Why is anonymous call rejection not working?

3.  Why can't Comcast customer service provide any answers or correct the problems?

Those seem like reasonable questions; does anyone have any reasonable answers?

Message Edited by BTK on 05-10-200704:18 PM

Regular Contributor

Dear Misguided,

I apologize that our customer service representatives have been unable to give you a clear answer on why you’re receiving unsolicited telephone calls. I also can appreciate your frustration when it comes to all unsolicited, telemarketing and anonymous telephone calls.

Many of us would like to restrict these types of calls as much as possible; however, you should be aware that if you choose to switch telephone service providers (regardless of which provider you’re choosing), or if you move from one address to another, you should re-register with the DoNotCall.Gov list again. In effect, your previous registration often becomes null and void.

Unfortunately, this means you need to re-register each and every time you transfer your telephone number to another service, or move to a new address. You can find information about this and many other questions on the National Do Not Call Registry questions and answers page. Please take note of question number nineteen when clicking on the following DoNotCall.Gov link.

I also did a little checking on your account, and it looks like all of your features should be working. In particular, I have verified that your name and telephone number are not listed in any of the major online directories, as you requested. If you continue to have any problems, please use the following Comcast link to contact us. If would prefer to work with me instead, please send me an email.

Thanks for your patience,

Richard

Frequent Visitor

I too (as most of us here) had previously registered my phone number with the Do Not Call registry, and have switched from a physical phone line, to Vonage, now to Comcast, and the Do Not Call registration has remained in effect through the entire process.

Although the confirmation of the DNC registry is a good idea, you will find that changing carriers should not invalidate your entry (address change maybe), but if you are keeping the same phone number, that should not effect it.

Regular Contributor

Dear CPUjohn525,

Re-registering with the Do Not Call list is, admittedly, not always necessary. The FAQs in the Do Not Call list state: “If your number is disconnected and then reconnected, you may need to re-register.” Does this mean that moving or changing service providers will always open your line up to telemarketers? No, it doesn’t. But to be on the safe side, it’s always a good idea to re-register.

Thanks for the post,

Richard

Regular Visitor

I just got Comcast phone service on Monday and after reading this thread; re-registered with the donotcall.

Safety first.
Regular Contributor

Now I'm curious:  Whether or not switching your service provider somehow causes deactivation of your DNC registration, how do telemarketers get your new number information so quickly?

Does Comcast or some other entity release information about new service to a source that is accessible to telemarketers?

Thanks.
Most Valued Poster

It is your phone number that is registered. I am also registered and have not gotten any of those annoying calls with my switch. You can also block numbers with CDV
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

Naddie1 wrote:
It is your phone number that is registered. I am also registered and have not gotten any of those annoying calls with my switch. You can also block numbers with CDV

Registered where? By whom?
Most Valued Poster

The do not call registry.
Clickable link, you can sign up hereSmiley Wink
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

Oh. That.

Been registered, Naddie. And I used to double-check and re-register every two years, just to make sure. (Twice in the past I had been "accidentally removed". Accidents happen, they claim.).

Now I don't even bother to check it anymore. The DNC registry is a complete joke, Naddie. Not worth the time it takes to register there. Check it out and see who is still allowed to contact you, even if you are registered. Again, it is almost completely worthless.

From the DNC page on the FCC web site:

The Do-Not-Call registry does not prevent all unwanted calls. It does not cover the following:

• calls from organizations with which you have established a business relationship;

• calls for which you have given prior written permission;

• calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements;

• calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations.

FYI, any company that "claims" to have a prior business relationship with you avoids all penalties. Once they do, it is up to you to "prove" that there has never been a "prior relationship".  Ever consider how you would, say, try to prove that you have never stolen anything in your life? Can't prove a negative! So any company that wants to can still call and make the claim, and you cannot realistically "prove" that you haven't ever done business with them.

Also, the telemarketers that are "...running a fundraiser to support the Police Chiefs of America", or the "Paralyzed Veterans" can call as much as they want -- they are exempt.  (BTW, I do respect and would support both of those afore-mentioned groups. But the fund-raising criminal enterprise... Ooops!  I meant "marketing firm" -- that runs the "Police Chiefs" promotion is kept 96% of all funds raised in 2004. Police organizations are forced into using them because they are forbidden by law to solicit for themselves. Conflict of interest. Regulations say that folks could feel that if they did not donate, they may not get the quickest response from their local force. Oh, that same firm only kept 93% of funds raised for Paralyzed Veterans in 2005, the last year for which I can find records).

The whole DNC program is a sham! But if you feel it is protecting you, have at it!........................(They will help you out.......as soon as you are free from talking with the Tooth Fairy!    )

Message Edited by J-Mac on 06-22-200701:44 AM