New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

I don't understand this, and Comcast isn't helping

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

I don't understand this, and Comcast isn't helping

I am able to receive universal caller ID on my desktop computer through the downloaded application, I can receive universal caller ID on all my iOS devices through the Comcast app, yet I am unable to receive universal caller id on my TVs.  The "itv" item on the cable box menu doesn't exist on any cable box.  And Comcast advises that all my cable boxes are universal caller ID compatible; e.g., my DVR is model RNG200N.  

Any idea why these cable boxes don't contain the itv item in the menus?  If I'm able to receive universal caller id on my desktop and iOS devices, I don't understand why itv (and universal caller ID) isn't available on my set top boxes.  I am also able to manage my DVRs through the Internet and Comcast ios apps.

Comcast doesn't seem to have a clue why I don't receive caller ID through my cable boxes. Their response is, that menu item "should" appear on your cable boxes.  

Thanks. 

Accepted Solution

Re: I don't understand this, and Comcast isn't helping

Just to update, I guess that requesting that tier 1 support "finally" escalate this issue to a supervisor worked.  A week later, I suddenly had "ITV" in my menu settings and Caller ID on my TV.  Coincidence that they just "happened" to roll out "ITV" a week after I requested the issue be escalated?  I would find that hard to believe.  More likely, something on Comcast's end was not set properly, they finally corrected it, and now the service works on the computer, tablet, phone (should I choose to turn it on) and TV.

Never got a call from a supervisor or a higher tier support member, but it doesn't matter. 

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

that would be an issue on your account on comcasts end that only they can fix

Regular Visitor

the problem is comcast won't help because every single time you call, you get a different person which causes you to explain the entire problem from start to finish and then, of course, they don't understand and tell you it's not their problem ~ the problem is on your end. They then try to set up an appt for tech rep to come to your house.  Since the onset of all of these new features that are supposedly top notch, I have had 5 visits with the tech rep who proceeds to explain that its the box that is the problem.  They then exchange the DVR for a new one (or another previously used one they try to pass off as new).  I have had my box "exchanged' 5 times thus far and yet I still cannot access Caller ID, DVR Manager, and anything else they seem to promise, and ones for which i continue to pay.  I have had my comcast phone for years now so changing providers is never the problem. The problem remains the same; they do not know what the problem is, so passing the buck to the consumer or other provider is the easiest solution.  I have now begun my search for a new tv/internet/phone provider.  Enough is enough. Best of luck to you though - i hope you have more success than i have had over the years.

Silver Problem Solver

caller id on the tv is not available in all markets,  you are most likely in a SA cisco market, that market is getting those features now throuh april. obviously getting new boxes is not the answer as it does not work.

If you are a motorola customer then its on comcasts end.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I don't believe any boxes are Motorola.  You're probably right about Cisco, although this wouldn't explain why Comcast continues to insist the ITV menu item "must" be present (acting as if I am just not seeing it). 

They finally escalated it, after I finally told the tech (as a poster noted), that I am tired of explaining the issue over and over to different techs, and I want one person to research it and get back to me.  Now I am waiting on the supervisor to call me and finally tell me it's just not available yet! 

Regular Visitor

I appreciate your reply rog286713 and was happy to read that you knew as well it wasn't the boxes' problems.  According to the Caller ID Help section, they list the compatible boxes and my box is specifically listed.  I happened to phone today to see what response I would get and I just laughed.  A long while ago (in March of 2010) I was told that they were working on these features in my area and they shoud be available no later than August 2010.  When August rolled around I would attempt to see if these features worked yet...again, no they didn't,  When I phoned I was given the exact same answer as before and only AFTER 1 - 2 hours of problem solving was i offered the conclusion/expert opinion.  the conclusion came that it must not be available in my area, and then gave me a new target date.  As you can imagine, this has gone on since 2010 (at least) and my level of patience and understanding is non existent.  When i was offered to schedule another visit from the tech support rep because it "could be something wrong with your boxes" I laughed, thanked her for her time, and said I will check back in another 6 months or so if I'm still a "valued" customer.

My one friend is also having the same problems, except he gets the following message after he signs in to Xfinity Caller iD:  "Authentication failed. User is Restricted (CIOPC 010)"  He cannot get a straight answer as to why he is restricted and/or what Error Code CIOPC 010 represents.  His account is identical to my account in terms of having The Ultimate Triple Play pkg (whatever the highest level is named) , the number of HD DVR boxes, etc...etc.  No satisfaction on his end either and level of frustration is maxed out.

Silver Problem Solver

see this thread.  comcated posted this to let everyone in the SA Cisco market know about the guide updates coming.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/New-Features-for-Scientific-Atlanta-Cisco-Cable...

You will know your area can get Called id on the tv when you see interactive set up in your box menu.   you will also know because your guide will now be 4:3.  comcast has said all SA Cisco markets should have the update by march.  You can ask for your particular region here. 

Frequent Visitor

My guide went to 4:3 several weeks ago, yet there is still no "itv" menu option on any box.  I have 2 DVRs, both RG200N.  The other boxes are HD, but they are also Cisco.  

I'm in 77494, which is Katy, TX (major suburb of Houston).  Any ideas when we'll get the itv menu option?

Thanks. 

Silver Problem Solver

if you have the updated guide and you dont have caller id on tv then you need to call comcast, as its not working for you and they have to fix it on their end.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, called them last night.  Told the same story for the nth time, and got the typical "trouble shooting" tips that never worked.  I strongly requested that the issue be escalatd, research performed, and a supervisor call me back, as I'm sick of calling tier 1 techs all the time and getting nowhere.  They supposedly created a ticket, the issue will be investigated, and a higher tier support member will call me.  

We'll see.  Although I'm not holding my breath. 

Frequent Visitor

Just to update, I guess that requesting that tier 1 support "finally" escalate this issue to a supervisor worked.  A week later, I suddenly had "ITV" in my menu settings and Caller ID on my TV.  Coincidence that they just "happened" to roll out "ITV" a week after I requested the issue be escalated?  I would find that hard to believe.  More likely, something on Comcast's end was not set properly, they finally corrected it, and now the service works on the computer, tablet, phone (should I choose to turn it on) and TV.

Never got a call from a supervisor or a higher tier support member, but it doesn't matter.