Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to tie in new wall jacks to phone service

Regular Visitor

How to tie in new wall jacks to phone service

We rent a home that has tele-com wires which don't appear connected to anything, including existing jacks, and we know the owners used cell phones only when they lived here.  We have a triple bundle of Digital TV, HS Internet, and Phone.  We want to add phone jacks to two upstairs rooms and two downstairs rooms to plug in phones.  Currently, we use 3 hand-set cordless with the main base unit plugged into the modem.  It's not convenient to walk over to the modem when the phone rings in that room, but the other phones are needed in other rooms at the moment.  If we put in jacks in the main room for additional phones and add them to the upstairs rooms, it will alleviate the running around to answer a call.  We have wired other places before to add jacks and know how to do that part.

What we don't know:  where do we tie in the jacks in the basement wiring so the service reaches them?  Is the existing tele-com wiring any good to us, or should we just remove it to end confusion?  Cable comes in through basement, three routes were set up by the Comcast technicians when we moved in to reach the living room (where the moden sits), a downstairs bedroom, and a second floor bedroom.  Can we leverage those routes which bring in Cable TV for the new jacks we are installing?

Thanks!

Problem Solver

Re: How to tie in new wall jacks to phone service

Best way to do it is if your current Cordless base station allows for adding more remote stations. Just go that route. If not. Then maybe upgrade to a better Cordless setup that allows unlimited number of remote stations.

If you want to connect wired units to the existing telephone wiring. You would just need Cat-3 or Telephone wire. Red & Green are the only two wires that you need to use. They would connect to the Blue & Blue/White wires if those were used at other jacks or the Demarc point where the eMTA is located.

Running wire for telephone jacks and connecting them is probably the easiest thing to do out there. It is not really rocket science.

Personally I would stick with one Cordless Base station and just add more remote units to the network. Newer Cordless units allow for Blue-Tooth connection to Cellular phones. That way One line is telephone calls from the eMTA. The other telephone line would be from the Cell Phone.
Regular Visitor

Re: How to tie in new wall jacks to phone service

We need at least one corded phone for me to work remotely and tie into my job's Aspect service without being disconnected every time the phone rings or sits for more than 20 minutes, which is what happens with the cordless setup.  Agreed that just adding more cordless is the simplest, and probably cheapest.  We have the Cat 3 wires ready.

I don't understand "They would connect to the Blue & Blue/White wires if those were used at other jacks or the Demarc point where the eMTA is located. ... "  It may not be rocket science, but I haven't done it so it's not transparent to me.  Currently, there are NO jacks connected to anything so we can't test which way to tap in. My husband has done the wiring in the past, so it's not rocket science to him either, but we have always lived in places where there was one set of wiring, and it was tele-com, and Cable tied into it when it was installed by Comcast.  So that's where the confusion is, the entry point of any wires we install - do they go to where the Cable comes in, or where the telecom wires go in?

Thanks, and sorry for not being smart enough to understand you on the first go-around.  I didn't realize it was necessary to be a rocket scientist to ask a question here.