Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to replace a landline with Xfinity Voice

Regular Visitor

How to replace a landline with Xfinity Voice

I have Xfinity Triple Play (TV, internet, phone), but I don't currently use the phone capability.  I would like to begin using Xfinity Voice and eliminate my landline phone service (from CenturyLink).

Connected to my landline, I have two cordless phones, one downstairs and one upstairs.  My Xfinity Voice modem is in the basement.  I would like to continue using the two cordless phones with Xfinity Voice.  What are the steps to make that work?

Thank you.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: How to replace a landline with Xfinity Voice

Cordless phones work fine as long as the phone base is close enough for the Phones to connect to it like you are using now.  

Just attach the Phone base station to the Cable modem once you have service.   You may also be able to back feed the phone thru home phone wiring by connecting the modem to a phone jack and then plug in the base on another jack.  

Otherwise if the Modem is too far from an area the Phone base will connect to the phones you could run a phone wire to where you want to locate the base.

Regular Visitor

Thank you, kheffington.  Two follow-up questions, please:

1. What are the determinants of whether it will work to "back feed" through the phone wiring?

2. Can I use my current (soon to go away) landline phone number as my Xfinity Voice phone number?  If so, how would I accomplish that switch?

Valued Contributor

castanet123 wrote:

Thank you, kheffington.  Two follow-up questions, please:

1. What are the determinants of whether it will work to "back feed" through the phone wiring?

If the house wiring worked before with your current phone service, it will work with Comcast.  First find the phone box, usually located outside.  Open it and unplug the modular jack.  This disconnects the house phone wiring from the landline phone company.  Then connect a phone wire from the Tel1 port on the back of the modem to a wall phone jack.

2. Can I use my current (soon to go away) landline phone number as my Xfinity Voice phone number?  If so, how would I accomplish that switch?

Call Comcast and ask that the phone number be ported to Comcast.  Don't cancel your old phone service until this has been accomplished.