Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to install voice to existing system??

New Poster

How to install voice to existing system??

Hi - I just added digital voice to my existing TV/Internet plan.  I have my own modem (Surfboard SBG6850) which should support this.   The Comcast rep gave my another Arris modem which she said I can return if I don't need it.  

My question is what to do I need to hook up to my existing modem, (just plug phone line into modem) to get it going.  There were absolutely no instructions included.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How to install voice to existing system??

The SBG6850 doesn't have the ports that Comcast's phone service requires. You'll need to use the Arris provided, or buy an EMTA (a cable modem that also provides phone service) if your local system allows it.

If you're not sure how to hook this up, it would be best to have a tech come out and take care of it for you.

New Poster

OK.  So the rep said "just use two modems."  I can do that, but there were no instructions for set up.I have a splitter, long and short cables, and another ethernet cable.  What goes where?

New Poster

Or can I use the arris TM822 modem for everything?  I have "blast" internet plan

Gold Problem Solver

Could you double check the Motorola gateway model number? Is it actually an SBG6580?

The TM822 would work for internet and phone, but it doesn't have wireless or router functions. The Motorola gateway would also work for internet and has a wireless router, but doesn't handle phone.

If you don't need wireless or more than one Ethernet hookup you could use the TM822 only. But if you want wireless or more than one Ethernet line, then you need both devices (or you need to add a standalone wireless router to the Arris).

If you need wireless or more than one Ethernet hookup, then split the coax into 2 feeds, 1 for each of these devices. The Motorola would handle internet and provide wireless service and multiple Ethernet ports as before, and the Arris would provide phone service.