Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to Self Activate Voice?

New Poster

How to Self Activate Voice?

I signed up for Xfinity Voice about 2 weeks ago, but did not have a chance to test it out yet until now. Woman on the phone gave me a new phone number and told me that I just needed to plug my phone into the Cable Modem box and I should get a dial tone. She told me that a technician did not have to make a personal visit for this upgrade, as I already have internet and cable. A few things:

1. My Telephone 1 and Telephone 2 LED's are not even lighting up in spite of reset and powering down my modem; I assume, since these are not lighting up, I don't have this feature, in spite of me signing up for it?...and yes, I have tried plugging in my phone and no dial tone.

2. Could the reason be that I am not using the Comcast XB3 Modem/Router as my WiFi source? I am using my Apple Time Capsule as my WiFi source so I can use my Apple Airport Express as my extender (psst, because the WiFi signal pumped out by the Xfinity router is so poor, my PS4 was not able to pick up a signal even when my router is on the same floor as the game console...I never had this problem with my ATT Uverse!)

3. Must I set up for a Voice Pin before I can get voice service, hence, no active Telephone service? I have not yet set this up, as I have been away.

I know I could probably call up Comcast to try and remedy this, but I thought I would get a better answer from the experts on this forum without being passed on and on up the chain when the person on the bottom rung is stumped.

Thanks

Service Expert

Re: How to Self Activate Voice?

KHC54 wrote:

I signed up for Xfinity Voice about 2 weeks ago, but did not have a chance to test it out yet until now. Woman on the phone gave me a new phone number and told me that I just needed to plug my phone into the Cable Modem box and I should get a dial tone. She told me that a technician did not have to make a personal visit for this upgrade, as I already have internet and cable. A few things:

Q -  Did you ever "activate" the modem when you first received it?

If you did not, you should call into Comcast and get the modem activated as this must be done when the modem is online and on the network.

Yes, you will need a Voice PIN in order to retrieve Vm's on your phone.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks Ray. Somehow modem started to work without a call. It took a couple of resets of my router though. Now to get a Voice Pin. Gonna research that.

Many thanks again

Service Expert

KHC54 wrote:

Thanks Ray. Somehow modem started to work without a call. It took a couple of resets of my router though. Now to get a Voice Pin. Gonna research that.

Many thanks again

If you have XFINITY Voice service, your account number also is associated with a single Security PIN, used to identify yourself over the phone when you call Comcast.

For security reasons, Comcast cannot manually change your Security PIN. If you would like to change your Security PIN, you can log in to My Account or XFINITY Connect.

In addition, each phone number on your account will have a Voice PIN to log in to voicemail via phone.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon