New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How do I know it even works?

Frequent Visitor

How do I know it even works?

From the "Porting Information" sticky:

On the day of the installation your new company sends another request saying that they have installed you and have activated your number in their switching equipment; if for some reason the install is not done they notify your old carrier of this.

Your former company “releases” your number; you get all your incoming calls.

Depending on your previous provider, this process can take from 3 or 4 days to several weeks to complete.

So when comcast makes that final call to release my number, is that instantaneous?  Will I have to cut a check before I even know if my 3 phones and fax machines can receive incoming data?

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I know it even works?

Hi otamywy,

I am going to answer both of your post at the same time.

Regarding "How do I know it even works?" you said, "So when Comcast makes that final call to release my number, is that instantaneous? Will I have to cut a check before I even know if my 3 phones and fax machines can receive incoming data?"

The porting process should be seamless. People calling you should be able to reach you without interruption. All of your phones and your fax machine will work prior to the technician leaving (he will verify this with you).

"Will Comcast give what amounts to a ‘free estimate’?"

If there is a working cable outlet in the room that you want the eMTA placed (normally where your CHSI modem is), we will not have to run new cable. In most cases we will connect to your inside wiring.

As for additional lines: At this time we only provide two lines into any home. If you are talking about telephone jacks, we can activate the existing jacks if your home is wired for two lines; if not, then we would also need to run new telephone lines unless you decide to go directly to the back of the eMTA (this would limit you to having to place the phone in that room or use a cordless telephone for that line). If there is additional wiring needed, the technician will tell you prior to doing this and you can determine at this point if you want to continue. If you decide not to and cancel the installation there will be no charge, "no harm no foul." We will miss having you as a valued customer but will honor your decision.

I hope this answers your questions, if not please contact us  or email me .

Thank you for considering Comcast as your telephone provider!

Jim

Frequent Visitor

Re: How do I know it even works?

Thanks for the response, that pretty much answers my questions.