New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How do I connect my secondary phones?

New Poster

How do I connect my secondary phones?

Can't get a simple answer from Comcast Service -

We just signed up for the voice service and received the Arris phone modem.

Following the self set-up instructions, I have successfully obtain phone service on one phone, connected to LINE 1 on the modem.

However, none of my other phones work!  Comcast said there is no problem because I have satisfactory service on my one phone....tucked up in my office where we can not hear it downstairs.

Can anyone advise what else I need to do? 

BTW...on my own, I tried connecting LINE 2 to a wall jack, but that doesn't work either.  LINE 2 does not light up on my modem.

Of course Comcast is willing to send a service rep to find out the problem - at my cost.

Official Employee

Re: How do I connect my secondary phones?

You would want to connect a phone line from the modem and Line 1 to the wall jack of your house.  This will feed the phone signal through to every phone outlet in the house.

If you only have the single outlet in the room with the modem, you can get a 2 way phone line splitter and use that to get service with that phone and all the other phones in the house.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thank you...I'll give it a try.

Why couldn't the Service Reps simply told me that?

New Poster

I don't a splitter at this time so I just moved the working line from the phone to the wall jack and it did not work.

now what?

Official Employee

First of all, we should have told you that when you called, that information is part of our training process.

For it not working, it is possible that there is a bad outlet, or that the outlet in that room is wired differently than the other outlets in the house.  Typical phone jack wiring in a house can have two settings so that the house can have two seperate phone lines active at once and so those lines would ring to different phone jacks, it is possible that room is configured to be on a different line.

Only way to fix that is with a technician physically at the house to determine the wiring and correct it.  Since we know it would be a wiring issue, I would recommend you schedule a tech, but sign up for the Service Protection Plan, this way you are only payin g $3.95 a month for that instead of a one time charge of $60.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

How did your have your previous phone provider set up?

Community Icon

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

In addition to plugging the phone wire into a phone jack, you will also need to go to the telephone company's NID box on the side of your house and disconnected the phone wire from the appropiate test jack or you will probably have signal problems because the line will be picking up voltage from the telephone company's lines in addition to the Comcast signal from the modem.  In most cases, you will unplug the wire from the line 1 jack.