Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How Many telephones can I have in the house?

New Poster

How Many telephones can I have in the house?

Hopefully this is an easy question but I don't see anything that addresses it.

I'd like to have have a few telephones in the house so we don't have to run to the one that is connected to the computer/modem each time the landline rings.  So, how and to what do I connect them to?  Thanks.

Cable Expert

Re: How Many telephones can I have in the house?

Normally connecting the inside phone wiring is done by the Comcast tech at time of installation if it was requested.

What is normally done is you connect a phone cord from the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA to a phone jack in the room to "backfeed" the talk battery on the eMTA into your existing inside phone wiring.  The inside phone wiring must be disconnected from the local phone company at the NID so you voltage does not go out into the public phone network.

There are many web sites showing how to do this, do a search for "voip backfeeding inside wiring" and you will find instruction.

Remember, there can be 48 to 90 volts on these lines, so be careful, or hire someone that knows how.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon