Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Highjacked caller name/ID

New Poster

Highjacked caller name/ID

I have reported this to ComCast, but without much interest/response.

Yesterday I received a call. My caller ID identified a local number and name. The call was a recorded spam message from "Rachel at credit card services..." Seemed odd, so I called the number it came in under. The woman who answered was indeed the person who was named on my caller ID, a local resident, but she had no idea how the credit card scammer was able to use her number.

Today the same thing happened, but called ID showed MY name and number! Good ol' Rachel again. I dialed *60 to disallow that caller to call again. Yep, it was my own number. (I thought I might pick up the real originating number of the call, but no.)

Some company has figured out how to highjack ComCast numbers/names. What if they start calling overseas? Or using the information in still other ways?

I've notified ComCast, but got little in the way of interest or understanding. I've also notified the police.

Anyone else running into this?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Highjacked caller name/ID

Caller ID spoofing is nothing new. It's been going on by scammers for quite some time. Also there are plenty of phonebooks and other directory listing services that put your phone number or name out there to the public. They are probably just grabbing a phone book.

New Poster

dont bother calling comcast for help on this..

they will pass you along to another number  and then tell you  to call  266-2278  no area code (i asked 3 times for an area code).. once you fall for that  and call that number  you will find it is a disconnected number...  and then you call them back and the EXACT SAME GUY tells you  ohh its a 1800 number..

New Poster

Yes, John, I know that. BUT this is different because the call did in fact come from my phone number. It was not a faked caller ID. As I said, when I dialed *60, the most recent call was from my number. What is to keep them from calling Indonesia and chatting for hours? From calling $5/minute lines?

I think this is new.

New Poster

This is now happening to me in the Ft Myers, FL area, someone called and left a nasty message on my home phone because someone using my name and Comcast number has been calling another Ft Myers resident for the last 5 weeks harassing this poor guy about reducing his credit card APR's.  They call him 7-8 times a day or just let it ring 3-4 times then hang up.  I'm on the phone with Comcast now. It's showing up on his Comcast bill that it is indeed my home number calling him. 

Silver Problem Solver

I seriously doubt Comcast (or any phone provider) can do anything on the individual customer level. What really needs done is the scammers caught and made to pay for their crimes. 

New Poster

Comcast is telling me it's a mix up in their directory and they will call me back later today when it has been fixed, but I'm not so sure it is going to take care of the problem. 

Silver Problem Solver

Sounds like one of those outsourcer"I have no idea what I'm talking aout so I'll just give a vague answer and hope it gets the customer off the phone" answers.

Silver Problem Solver

Oh and about the guy saying they were told to call 2662278, that spells COMCAST, so you're basically told to call the same number you just called.

New Poster

I have received a phone call from my own number too.  I am also getting a call from another local resident who says he keeps getting phone calls from my phone number.  He called me to tell me this and we do not know each other.  I've reported these incidents to Comcast, both times my call was handled overseas.  Their answer, It's a cliche in the system.  I told them that is not a satisfactory answer and I'm afraid someone is using my phone number somehow.  My last call to Comcast resulted her telling she created a ticket and it was elevated to level 2 tech support.  I have heard nothing back since then and this was 3 days ago. 

And as far as the telemarketers, it is getting ridiculous.  Comcast only allows us to block a certain number of calls, they could increase the number of calls we can block that would help some.  Evidently being on the do not call list doesn't stop them.     

Problem Solver

Contributor

I don't think the number spoofing affects the billing computers or we would of heard of victims by now.  I get most spam calls from the same number or least on the same exchange.  I keep my blocked list updated weekly.  We really need to put pressure on Comcast to increase the block list.  I've already "chatted" with them.  You should too.