Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Help with porting problem

New Poster

Help with porting problem

I reqeusted to port my phone number from Verizon Fios to comcast when i ordered Xfinity triple play package. I had this phone number for 13 years now. I waited for a month after ordering service for this to happen. I finally installed all the services and then continued to have both verizon triple play and comcast triple play for a week. I could not sustain this for long and so I cancelled Verizon services. I was never informed anything about the status of porting. Finally, when i enquired they told me that the porting did not go through because comcast used enhanced 911 service and so will not be able to have a number that is not within my residential zone. If I had know about this, i would have ported my number to google voice or some service to just have the number. Now that i have disconnected service with Verizon, I am left on the streets to figure out what I can do to get my number back. If somebody out there have a great idea to get my number back, please let me know. I did a stupid mistake in believing that comcast will port my number and so I am willing to pay to get my number back. Please help. 

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: Help with porting problem

Mohan1 wrote:

I reqeusted to port my phone number from Verizon Fios to comcast when i ordered Xfinity triple play package. I had this phone number for 13 years now. I waited for a month after ordering service for this to happen. I finally installed all the services and then continued to have both verizon triple play and comcast triple play for a week. I could not sustain this for long and so I cancelled Verizon services. I was never informed anything about the status of porting. Finally, when i enquired they told me that the porting did not go through because comcast used enhanced 911 service and so will not be able to have a number that is not within my residential zone. If I had know about this, i would have ported my number to google voice or some service to just have the number. Now that i have disconnected service with Verizon, I am left on the streets to figure out what I can do to get my number back. If somebody out there have a great idea to get my number back, please let me know. I did a stupid mistake in believing that comcast will port my number and so I am willing to pay to get my number back. Please help. 

Thanks

You would have to re-up with Verizon if they still have the number open. Once you cancel Verizon it's their number.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Help with porting problem

I tried to sign up for Verizon phone service but they cannot give me my old number. I only cancelled my Verizon service a month after asking Comcast to port it. How long can I have both Verizon and Comcast for the same service? Comcast agents should know about the enhanced 911 system that will not let them port the number from Verizon. This lack of information costed my number. I should have been informed about the problem with porting and a solution to it instead of washing your hands on the issue. I transferred the responsibility to Comcast to port my number and Comcast did not care. I am upset with the service from Comcast.