Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Have to dial 11 digit phone # for local number

Regular Visitor

Have to dial 11 digit phone # for local number

I am unable to dial a local number without dialing the full 11 digit number.  Although, my neigbor who is not on Comcast can call this number with only 7 digits.  And, my other neighbor who is on comcast and whose first 3 numbers are different from mine can call this number with only 7 digits.  I've contacted Comcast twice regarding this and they say the FCC regulates blocks of numbers and dialing patterns.  I can understand that, but the FCC would not say Comcast has to dial 11 digits, but XYZ Phone Company doesn't have to dial 11 digits.  Doesn't make sense???

I work for a College Campus and we are able to go into our phone system and tell it what numbers are local, so I don't understand why Comcast can not do this. 

I would really like to talk with a Comcast Employee who works in the communication center, but you know how hard that is to do....... 

Can anyone help me to understand this, or is Comcast just really feeding me a bunch of bologna?? 

Thanks!
Security Expert

Re: Have to dial 11 digit phone # for local number

That's changing everywhere.. We have to dial 11 digits for all numbers (no matter who your phone company is) in the Dallas area.
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Email Expert

Regular local phone companies are regulated by the state public utility commissions, and different states have different rules. Here in Massachusetts we also have to use 10- and 11-digit dialing for everything (the 1 at the beginning is optional if the call isn't a toll call).

Since Comcast is a nationwide VOIP phone system, they're apparently regulated by the FCC rather than individual state PUCs.

Aren't cell phones like this as well?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Dear mccullrr,

I've done some research to see if we could reduce the number of digits that you're having to dial for a local call, but I’m just not finding a solution. It seems that your dialing pattern is dependent on a number of interdependent factors: the switch your number is located on, the calling plan you have, and the technology that you’re using (analog vs. digital). Unfortunately, since we can’t change at least some of those factors, I don’t have a way to correct the problem for you. Sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance.

Thanks for posting,

Richard