Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HP 6500 wireless printer compatibility with Comcast digital phone

Frequent Visitor

HP 6500 wireless printer compatibility with Comcast digital phone

I'm trying to get my new HP6500 Wireless printer fax part to work. It's set up wirelessly for printing but the manual says it has to have an analog phone line.  Comcast is digital. 

I'm using the cable they ship with machine and connected it to Comcast modem and if I dial the line, it rings on the printer.  So far so good.  But when I go to set it up, the HP software says I'm "not connected" and I can't get into the setup.  Is my problem the digital phone line?

Most Valued Poster

Re: HP 6500 wireless printer compatibility with Co

Some of the HP printers require that you use either the phone cable that came with your printer or an adapter that comes with your printer.  Mine is that way and refused to work until I read the directions and used the HP adapter.  There are also two phone jacks on my printer and they are not clearly marked as to which one to use.  Try the other jack if you are getting the "not connected" error.   My fax works fine with Vonage and yours should work fine with Comcast.

Cable Expert

Re: HP 6500 wireless printer compatibility with Co

Here's some hints.

Make sure you have the 1-line jack to the eMTA L1/L2 jack.  This is the phone jack away from the edge of the printer.

Change the fax speed to medium or slow.  This is on page 74 of the HP's manual.

Try the speed changes and see if that helps.

You also might need to use a telephone cord between the eMTA and the fax machine with only the 2 center wires in the cable, and not a 4 wire phone cable.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon