Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Getting 911 when I dial something else

Most Valued Poster

Getting 911 when I dial something else

Ok, going to try this here. We all know that I am half nuts so at least you will maybe believe me. TS sure did not............TWO tickets numbers on this one. Same response. Has to be our phone. Two seperate wireless phones with caller ID. The number one does not dispa,y in the caller ID on those two phones. When I bring up one number that is in the ID system that goes to Washington state. I hit dial, and I get the Carlisle, PA Emergency Response in Carlise. [Everytime that I do that. Now if I dilal, the 1 and then the number, it will go the person I am calling.
Before I got CDV, and had Verizion, if I just hit the talk button, the operator would cut in and tell me I must dial one first.
Needless to say I do not just hit dail with that number, as I do not want to interfere with 911 operator. The first time I reported this, was to a tech that was here, as I had an other issue. He snapped to and got on the ball. He did the exact same thing and ended up talking to the 911 operator for about five minutes, trying to figure out how this can happen.
Ok, the ball is in the court of CDV now. I have no other problems. Ya all sure do.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting 911 when I dial something else

Hi Naddie,

This does sound like an unusual problem.  May we try a couple of troubleshooting steps? 

What happens when you manually dial the Washington number without a preceding 1?  Do you receive the recording or does that also send you to emergency services?  There is a possibility that you are experiencing overlap between the numbers you are calling.  For example, the number you are dialing is 234-567-8901 and emergency service in your area has an alternate number of 234-5678.

Also, is happening on all the telephones in the home?  If you have more than one telephone with the same functionality (preferably a completely different make and model), see if you can duplicate the problem.

I always love hearing about these particularly unusual problems.   It sounds like you have a good one there!

Geoff.
Most Valued Poster

GeoffG wrote:
Hi Naddie,

This does sound like an unusual problem.  May we try a couple of troubleshooting steps? 

What happens when you manually dial the Washington number without a preceding 1?
I have not done that. The phone in the kitchen is a wall phone and corded, it does have the 1 listed in the Caller ID. It will go the the person that it is supposed to do.

Do you receive the recording or does that also send you to emergency services?
I do not get a recording, I get the acttual 911 operator. The RECORDING was when I was with verizion.

There is a possibility that you are experiencing overlap between the numbers you are calling.  For example, the number you are dialing is 234-567-8901 and emergency service in your area has an alternate number of 234-5678.
 Bingo!!!!!! That has to be it.

Also, is happening on all the telephones in the home?  If you have more than one telephone with the same functionality (preferably a completely different make and model), see if you can duplicate the problem.
All of the phones are wireless, EXCEPT the one in the kitchen and that is also the only one that lists the (1) in the caller id.

I always love hearing about these particularly unusual problems.   It sounds like you have a good one there!

Geoff.

I feel very uncompfortable calling any number that may get me 911 unless I need them. They prrrrrobably think that I am some nut as it is. Besides they are busy with matters far more important than mine.
Tell you what. if you call them and tell them that I will be calling and that I am mostly sain. Then I will.
Area code is 717

Most Valued Poster

With GeoffG's help, we have come to the conlusion that leaveing off the one, in the number, in some cases, the number that you hit dial on will not be the number that you get.
This Lazy Naddie is going to utilize the speed dial function that comes with our phone service.