Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

General Digital Voice question

Regular Visitor

General Digital Voice question

Presently I have basic cable TV and internet service and am considering adding telephone service. Do I need a special modem for telephone service and will all(4) of my present phone jacks work without special wiring. If I do need a modem is it best to purchase one. With my internet service I purchased a Linksys cable modem and wireless router and therefore I have no monthly rental charges. Is thre any rental equipment involved?
Thanks,
Bob
Contributor

Re: General Digital Voice question

rrc3042 wrote:
Presently I have basic cable TV and internet service and am considering adding telephone service. Do I need a special modem for telephone service and will all(4) of my present phone jacks work without special wiring. If I do need a modem is it best to purchase one. With my internet service I purchased a Linksys cable modem and wireless router and therefore I have no monthly rental charges. Is thre any rental equipment involved?
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, you will need a special modem for phone service that will be used to connect your internet service and telephone service to it.  You will not need special wiring to your phone jacks.    The modem rental is, for me, $3 a month.

Take Care,

reesecups
Contributor

Hi rrc3042,

To answer your questions…

1. Yes, you will need to have a new modem installed for our Comcast Digital Voice service.

2. Yes, all of your phone jacks should work, with little to no re-wiring.

3. Yes, there is a monthly rental charge of $3.00 for the modem.

At this time the CDV modem, also called an eMTA, is not available for public purchase. I would encourage you to contact us so that a sales representative can answer all of your questions and get your installation set up as soon as possible. If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to email me and I will be happy to assist.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the post!

Contributor

--  off-toipc post removed  --

Message Edited by Jason1 on 01-23-2007 10:48 AM

Contributor

If there is only one modem connected to the system for CDV, how do all of the phone jacks in the house work with it?

In other words, if the modem (for both voice and Internet) sits in my study, how do the phone jacks on the bedroom levels and the basement connect to it?
Email Expert

The eMTA is connected to the phone wiring in the home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi caesardog,

Typically what our technician will do is disconnect your previous provider's telephone lines at the Network Interface Device and then connect the modem to the home's inside wiring, either by running a line from the modem to the NID or by connecting it at another point, depending on how the wiring in your home is set up.

The end result is that our Comcast Digital Voice customers should be able to use their service in exactly the same way that they always have before.

When your CDV service is installed, that is also a good opportunity to have any additional work you may want done, such as installing a new telephone jack or cable outlet (although there are additional charges for additional work). Please contact us for more information.

Thanks for your question!

Geoff.