New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gateway Tel1 & Tel2

Contributor

Gateway Tel1 & Tel2

CT8305C

I"m using TEL1 . I don't see any info on TEL2.

Can Tel2 be used ??

I have an old telehone system that I would like to use in rooms I seldom am in.

It would be convient to be able to use this old system when I happen to be in these rooms.

Could it work on Tel2 . I tried it and i does not seem to work. My newer phone is a dect and the older system is pre-dect .

Could this be the problem ?? 

Connection Expert

Re: Gateway Tel1 & Tel2

I think that you would have to be paying Comcast for a second line for the tel2 jack to be active.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Networking Expert

Tel1 and Tel2 are for seperate lines. You can pay for and have two Comcast phone lines provisioned with different phone numbers.

If you want to use two cordless phone systems, you could still do that from a single phone port, but you would have to split the line using a phone splitter, and plug each base station into one side of the split line.

Ideally, your home would be wired for phones, and you would have a distribution or punch down block that distributes the phone wires to other rooms. You would then connect the output from Tel1 to the punchdown, and the base stations for the cordelss phones to the wall jacks in whichever rooms you wanted to use them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Just connect the tel1 port on the modem to a wall phone jack with a standard phone cable that has the RJ11 jacks.  Plug your cordless phone base into another wall jack, or get a phone splitter, available at Walmart.  Be sure to go out to the old phone line box on the side of your house and unplug the line coming from the street so that you're not back feeding the phone signal to the street.

I have a splitter in the tel 1 port on the modem.  One side goes to the wall jack, and the other side goes to a phone on my desk.  I have a cordless phone base plugged into a phone jack in the kitchen and phones plugged in the wall jacks in 2 bedrooms.