New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Fax without connecting phone line to printer

ANSWERED
New Poster

Fax without connecting phone line to printer

I have a WiFi networked HP 6700 all-in-one printer.  Is is possible to wirelessly fax without connecting that unit to my Comcast modem?  My modem is on the bottom floor of my home and the printer is one level up.  My house is not wired for a land-line, the only line is near my modem on the lower level.

thanks in advance

Accepted Solution

Re: Fax without connecting phone line to printer

Sorry, no, you can't fax from your all in one without a direct telephone cord connected to a Comcast gateway, eMTA telephony modem, other VOIP adapter or POTS line.

You might want to check one of the online fax services, which some are free with advertising.

View answer in context
Tags (2)
Cable Expert

Sorry, no, you can't fax from your all in one without a direct telephone cord connected to a Comcast gateway, eMTA telephony modem, other VOIP adapter or POTS line.

You might want to check one of the online fax services, which some are free with advertising.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

It was worth a shot, thanks very much.  I was hoping that I could send data over IP from the network printer to the modem which would convert it to PSTN and or VoIP format as necessary.  It sounds doable, since from my understanding of the formats says that it's the faxing over IP part that's complicated, not the rest of the procedure, but I guess the modem firmware would need a routine to make this conversion which it doesn't have.  I was trying to avoid the eFax cost, not that it's much but out of principle because I have a landline but no phones connected to it :-).

Again, thank you much!

Valued Contributor

ZenonKulyk wrote:

I have a WiFi networked HP 6700 all-in-one printer.  Is is possible to wirelessly fax without connecting that unit to my Comcast modem?  My modem is on the bottom floor of my home and the printer is one level up.  My house is not wired for a land-line, the only line is near my modem on the lower level.

thanks in advance

There is a solution for you.  You can buy a pair of jacks that send the phone signal over your home's powerlines.

Do an internet search for "phoneline over powerline" and you will see multiple devices for sale that provide what you need.

I've never used one, but I have confidence they will work.

I currently use similar jacks to connect my router to a x-Box, smart TV, and internet equipped Blue-Ray player.  If I can stream movies over one, you should be able to handle a phone signal.