Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Fax will not work with Comcast Phone

New Poster

Fax will not work with Comcast Phone

I wanted to utilize my comcast phone so I ported my home number over.  One major problem.  Fax machine will not work either on a single line or shared line.  Comcast does not have distinctive ring tone.  Called customer support many times.  Always different answer, they will not send tech to my house.  Told to call HP Fax Support which was waste of time, nothing wrong with Fax.  How can you sell phone service that will not support a fax machine?

Problem Solver

Re: Fax will not work with Comcast Phone

adellarocco wrote:

I wanted to utilize my comcast phone so I ported my home number over.  One major problem.  Fax machine will not work either on a single line or shared line.  Comcast does not have distinctive ring tone.  Called customer support many times.  Always different answer, they will not send tech to my house.  Told to call HP Fax Support which was waste of time, nothing wrong with Fax.  How can you sell phone service that will not support a fax machine?

My fax works perfectly on the comcast phone.  Guess I'm lucky, 

Cable Expert

The trick on HP fax combo's is to use a 2 wire phone cord from the all in one device.  Don't use a standard 4 wire phone cord.  I have many customers using these devices with fax, once a 2 wire phone cord is used.  Radio Shack might still have these 2 wire phone cords.

Yes, Comcast does not offier or ever has advertised distinctive ringing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I have an old HP 6310 All-in-One and it works great with the standard 4 wire line. I ran the line from the gateway to the printer/fax and from it to the phone. Both work great. I have an Aris TG862G/CT gateway. What do you have? Some gateways aren't very fax compatable.

New Poster

Holy *&&%%. 2 wire phone cord works. It was that simple. I had to have talked to 6 comcast techs about the problem.  Not one had a solution other than I should call HP Support. I hope the last fool I talked to reads this, he was dismissive and useless.