Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Fax possible??

Regular Visitor

Fax possible??

I have Comcast Digital Voice and I would like to fax.  My comcast modem is down in the crawl space - and I need to have my fax machine upstairs in my home office.  I tried plugging the fax into the phone jack outlet on the wall in my home office but there is no dial tone.  I did not think there would be since our phones are plugged directly into the cable modem in the crawl space.

Does anyone know how I can get the phone jack in the office to pick up a signal since the phones go through the cable modem?

Thanks!
Security Expert

Re: Fax possible??

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Does anyone have a REAL answer to my question - not just a copy of a link of general troubleshooting FAQ's that DO NOT answer the question I posted?

I know that I can plug directly into the modem - I asked how I can get the telephone wall jacks to work since all my phones are plugged directly into the cable modem.

Email Expert

You need to get your house's phone wiring connected to the Comcast eMTA, instead of plugging phones directly into it. Then you should have dial tone at all the phone outlets. This is not specific to faxing, it would be the same if you wanted an ordinary phone in the room with the fax machine, rather than where the eMTA is.

Comcast would have done this for free when you first got CDV installed, but now I expect they'll charge you for a service call. An ordinary electrician should be able to do it as well.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

The typical way that phones in the home are connected is to run a single phone line from the modem to any phone jack in the house, which powers all of the rest of the phone jacks.  This assumes that the wiring is OK to begin with.  However, if you have a line running from each phone to the modem, then the wiring might have been changed in the past.  Do you know if this is the case?

Edit: My typing is too slow... Smiley Happy

Message Edited by slouke on 10-21-2008 10:02 AM