Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Fax Machine Question

Frequent Visitor

Fax Machine Question

Ok, I know this has been gone through, but I am having difficulty sorting through the various answers to find the one I need..

Currently, I have a fax machine that is plugged into the wall phone jack. the "phone out" of the fax runs to a phone with an answering machine. when someone calls and gets to the answering machine, we tell them to hit "Send" on their fax and the fax machine, because the phone line runs through it, recognizes the tone and accepts the fax.

If I switch to digital voice with voicemail, will this work? I guess the question is, when a caller gets switched to digital voice, is it still running through the fax machine first? My guess is no, they are transferred to my voice mail and no longer on my line, so the fax will not pick up.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks!

Kaz

Connection Expert

Re: Fax Machine Question

You are right in your assumption, but you can set the number of rings to answer on the Answering machine to 5 and the Comcast Voicemail to answer on 6 or 8.  Then the call comes and you can answer or let it go to your answering machine which does the job.  In the event the answering machine fails to answer the Voicemail picks up and they can leave a message telling you your fax machine is not working.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

right, but I want them on the same line, if possible. Right now, if they leave a message, I get the message. If the fax machine detects a fax handshake, it processes the data... this would not be possible with the digital voice setup, it sounds like.

Connection Expert

The Digital Voice Voicemail has a lot of nice capability such as Sorting voicemail into folders for archival purposes. and listening to your voice mail on your laptop and stuff like that.  If that is not of interest to you you can call in and ask them to turn Voicemail off.

The fallback position is to have your answering machine pickup sooner than the Voicemail.

So then the call comes in and rings four times and the answering machine picks up and says turn on your fax or leave a message.

If the Answering Machine Fails to answer for any reason, the Voice Mail picks up ans says please leave a message. (Could also say something like "Fax Machine appears to be offline, please leave a message"

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am definitely interested in the digital voice features. I wonder if I had the fax pick up at 4 rings and there is no fax, if it would "fall through" to digtal voice's voicemail..?

Cable Expert

bKaz wrote:

I am definitely interested in the digital voice features. I wonder if I had the fax pick up at 4 rings and there is no fax, if it would "fall through" to digtal voice's voicemail..?

Once the fax machine answers the line, it will not go to voicemail no matter what.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon