Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Electrical Outage No Phone

Frequent Visitor

Electrical Outage No Phone

This has been going on since january, when our neighborhood lose electrical power, We have no cable service. Both my neighbor & I have UPS systems, but the cable connection still goes down. Now that we both have Comcast phone, we are concerned about not being able to use the phone during a electrical outgae. Has happen twice already. My neighbor got the phone service on Aug 3rd, and we lost power on Aug 5th and they didn't have phone till the power was restored. We both expereinced it again on Saturday Aug 25th. He called in  about the Aug 5th outage and I did on the last one, but I have reporting this since January and seems no one is really concern about it Someone mentioned to me ( don't know if true) that where the node is at, there should be a battery backup there and those batteries might be dead. But until  this year, when we had a electrical outage, with my UPS systems, I could stay online for a good 30 minutes and still watch TV for about 15 minutes.  But now, electric goes out, so does cable, Now if I go and just disconnect the power to my place, all cable connections work, So that is why I think it is on Comcasts end.
Regular Contributor

Re: Electrical Outage No Phone

Hi moorecards,
Thanks for posting. After speaking with you, I contacted the local dispatch in your market and discussed the situation. Dispatch has agreed to send out a line technician, and verify that the network is working properly. If you continue to experience problems, please let us know by contacting us, or sending me an email. I do apologize for your inconvenience, and I hope this answers your concerns. Please remember that any issues that you may be having with your Comcast services, should be reported to us as soon as possible.
Jim,
Frequent Visitor

A tech did come out, said nothing they could do because the generator where the node is at was stolen and they (Comcast) won't replace it. So now whenever we have a electrical outage (3 in the last 2 weeks) I don't have a phone & neither does my neighbor even tho one of Comcast selling points is you will have a phone even when there is a electrial outage. Well guess that isn't true. So the battery backup in the modem is a total waste.
Most Valued Poster

moorecards wrote:
A tech did come out, said nothing they could do because the generator where the node is at was stolen and they (Comcast) won't replace it. So now whenever we have a electrical outage (3 in the last 2 weeks) I don't have a phone & neither does my neighbor even tho one of Comcast selling points is you will have a phone even when there is a electrial outage. Well guess that isn't true. So the battery backup in the modem is a total waste.

CharmingSmiley Sad

Send Jimwe an email as per the link in his response to you immediately.  

And there's an interesting point here...if you had the regular old pots service then you could complain to your state's Board of Public Utilities and they would likely jump on the case for you.   CDV is not legally considered to be a phone service so you lose that regulatory protection.   Actually a better way to say that is that CDV is not considered to be a public utility and thus not subject to regulation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Frequent Visitor

I have sent JimW a message  .. I am just wondering how Comcast can say you will have phone service during a electrical outage then not follow up ...