Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Don't want Call Waiting or Voice Mail

Frequent Visitor

Don't want Call Waiting or Voice Mail

The only features I need with my digital phone service are unlimited calling and Caller ID.  I've asked to have Voice Mail disabled because I use a traditional answering machine connected to my wireless phones.  I've asked to have Call Waiting disabled because giving the caller a ring tone when my phone is busy confuses them, and the messages are often misleading.  Right now, service says they have disabled these features, yet if my phone is called while it is in use the caller hears the ring tone ten times then gets a message that says "The number you are calling is not answering.  Please call again later."  All I want is for anyone calling me when I'm on the phone to receive the time-honored "Busy" signal.  Can anyone reassure me that their phone has these two features turned off and works this way, to give me hope that Comcast can fix the problem?

Regular Contributor

Re: Don't want Call Waiting or Voice Mail

If the Comcast telephone support team cannot turn off your voicemail, then I would recommend sending Comcast an email at we_can_help@cable.comcast.net.  You can also ask them to disable call waiting on your line.

If you continue to have trouble with this issue, you can dial *70 before each call to turn off call waiting.

Frequent Visitor

I did the *70 sequence, then dialed my own number, using my own phone (not a separate cell phone).  The phone rang once then said "The mail box number you are trying to reach is not in service.  Goodbye."  What kind of sense does that make?  Incidentally, I don't have to keep repeating *70 before each call.  I can just repeat calling myself and each time the same thing happens.  If you call yourself don't you get a busy signal?

Regular Contributor

Since you are using Comcast phone service and not a traditional copper wire landline service provider you may not hear a busy signal when dialing your home number from your home phone.  I think one of the reasons for this is because your home phone number is also your voice mail access number if you want to use it.  The best way to test this is to call your home phone from another phone while you are on the line with somebody.

Frequent Visitor

While I was on the phone to somebody I called my phone from a cell phone.  The cell phone rang twenty times then a voice said "The party you are trying to reach is not answering.  Please try again later."  Doesn't mean the same thing as a simple "Bzzzz ... bzzz ... bzzz ... bzzz ......"  

Regular Contributor

Since dialing *70 before each call does not seem to work, I would recommend emailing Comcast's support department because they are probably the only ones that can turn off call waiting and voicemail.

Silver Problem Solver

Yes only Comcast can permanately disable both services. 

Frequent Visitor

Just to close the book on this:  Apparently even Comcast has trouble turning off Call Waiting and Mailbox services.  I was told by three seperate level 1 service techs that my problem was caused by my account showing those services had not been shut off, and that they had finally fixed it.  After the fourth attempt by a level 2 tech, the problem was referred to "level 3 support", so exalted that you can't even talk to them, just wait (for up to 72 hours) for them to fix it and let you know.  Never heard a word from them, but tested it five days later and problem was fixed.  If I call myself with a cell while I'm on the phone, I immediately hear that beautiful busy tone on the cell, no confusing voice mail messages.  And also there are no "call waiting" beeps on main phone.  If I call myself with a cell while phone is not in use, my traditional answering machine picks up on fourth ring and takes a message, just like it should.    

However, you can't make the test by just calling yourself on the main phone.  Comcast treats that differently.  Phone rings once, then a voice says "The mailbox number that you are trying to reach is not in service.  Goodbye."  I can live with that because it will never happen.  But Comcast is ruining an easy way for customers to check whether these features have been disabled.

If Comcast were really interested in improving the "call waiting" feature they would detect that the destination phone was in use, ring a few times (no more than six) to give the called party a chance to switch over, then give the calling party a message that says "The number you are trying to reach is busy.  Please try again later. Goodbye."  

New Poster

I do not want to use Comcast voice mail.  After 4 rings on my phone it says we are not accepting calls.  I want our phone to ring 10 times so our answering machine has time to pick up.

Service Expert

Lunamoonbeam wrote:

I do not want to use Comcast voice mail.  After 4 rings on my phone it says we are not accepting calls.  I want our phone to ring 10 times so our answering machine has time to pick up.

You can set the number of rings by doing the following:

Log into your acount online and goto:  https://pf.connect.comcast.net/OptimusPref/prefs/voice

Click on Advanced Call Forwarding.

Edit your home phone number to "9" rings as this is as high as they allow it to go.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you