Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Does another local incoming caller get charged?

New Poster

Does another local incoming caller get charged?

I have been trying to get an answer on this on the web but can't find it...

using xfinity voice, when someone calls me within my immediate local area (e.g. like my neighbor), will he or she be charged a call fee or will it be free? I heard a number of years ago that, this is (or was?) a problem with voip as even though you can be next door or 2 houses down, you will still be charged some sort of call fee rate as opposed to it being free on a normal landline -- even though your number is a local number. Vonage is like that, which is one of the reason why I haven't transferred to VoIP yet. Bottom line is that I don't want my relatives or neighborhood buddies being charged every time they pick up the phone to call me.
Cable Expert

Re: Does another local incoming caller get charged

Your Comcast CDV phone will be in your own rate center, typically your town's exchange or something close, just as your neighbor with a local number.

If your neighbor calls you, and has free local calling, then calling you will not cost them.

Some other VOIP providers and cell phones do not have a phone prefix available in every rate center, so in those cases, someone with a VOIP or cell phone might have their phone at a different rate center and that could very well be a chargeable call.

That is why if you have Vonage, you can move and keep your same number, it is not tied to your exact location.  Comcast CDV typically has prefixes in most if not all rate centers, so if you move, even to the next town with a different rate center, you can't keep your phone number, you would be forced to get a new number at the new location's rate center.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon