Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Distorted Erratic Phone When on Battery (DPC3941T)

Frequent Visitor

Distorted Erratic Phone When on Battery (DPC3941T)

After allowing my battery to charge up, I decided to test it by turning off the power to the gateway. What a disaster. The phones behaves so erratically that it's useless. Sometimes incomming audio will be ear splittingly loud and distorted, other times, dialing out will lock up the gateway necessating a reset.

At first, I was thinking of taking measurements of the off hook voltage and current when on battery to see what they are running at but then I realized why bother, I can't adjust them anyway. I don't want to be the type to complain and groan about things but this is either a poorly designed product or the firmware Comcast uses is flawed. It happend with three corded phones. They are:

AT&T CL4940 (Speaker Phone with Answering Machine: phone will run without AC power)

Western Electric Country Junction Wall Phone (Bell System Design Line Series)

1987 Western Electric Payphone (uncertain of exact chasis: 1D2 maybe)

All phones work well when the gateway runs off of AC power.

I'd hate to call Comcast again as they were just out to resolve a phone quality issue. The problem turned out to be an amplifier on the node for my area.

Service Expert

Re: Distorted Erratic Phone When on Battery (DPC39

what213 wrote:

After allowing my battery to charge up, I decided to test it by turning off the power to the gateway. What a disaster. The phones behaves so erratically that it's useless. Sometimes incomming audio will be ear splittingly loud and distorted, other times, dialing out will lock up the gateway necessating a reset.

At first, I was thinking of taking measurements of the off hook voltage and current when on battery to see what they are running at but then I realized why bother, I can't adjust them anyway. I don't want to be the type to complain and groan about things but this is either a poorly designed product or the firmware Comcast uses is flawed. It happend with three corded phones. They are:

AT&T CL4940 (Speaker Phone with Answering Machine: phone will run without AC power)

Western Electric Country Junction Wall Phone (Bell System Design Line Series)

1987 Western Electric Payphone (uncertain of exact chasis: 1D2 maybe)

All phones work well when the gateway runs off of AC power.

I'd hate to call Comcast again as they were just out to resolve a phone quality issue. The problem turned out to be an amplifier on the node for my area.

In looking at your phones, I'm not sure that 2 of them would work with VOIP when in a power outtage condition....  Regardless, I removed my battery back up from my gateway and went with a UPS system ( lasts for hours even with Internet being used during power loss )....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Distorted Erratic Phone When on Battery (DPC39

All my phones will work without power. The AT&T phone defaults to line powered when there is no AC present, you lose the speaker phone and answering machine function.

The Country Junction is passive and requires no external power.

The payphone is line powered, it's one of the 'dumb phones' as they are known.

I've noticed the battery charge status page doesn't seem to be accurate. On seperate viewings, the battery has been at both 94 and 98% charge with the same mA rating. I'm going to try this again later tonight, to rule out the possibility of a dead battery.