online now

discussions

Digital phone

New Poster

Digital phone

Is their a difference between digital phone and digital voice
Email Expert

Re: Digital phone

I've moved this thread since it has nothing to do with the DVC.

Yes, there's a difference. Digital Phone is more like traditional phone service; the Comcast head-end is like the telco central office, and a channel on your cable is like your home's connection to the CO. It's not exactly the same, because on a traditional telco this is an analog signal, while it's digital on Digital Phone, which is why you need a special box in your home to do the conversion.

Digital Voice uses Voice Over IP (VOIP) technology, similar to services like Vonage and Skype. The eMTA converts the phone signal into packets, which it then sends over the network to a similar gateway close to the other phone (if you're calling another CDV subscriber it will be their eMTA, otherwise it will be a gateway to the telco in their city, and the regular phone system will be used for the last mile). The main difference between Vonage is that Comcast has a separate IP backbone just for CDV, so regular Internet traffic doesn't interfere with it. It also uses a separate channel on your cable modem connection, so talking on the phone won't slow down Internet downloads.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon