Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Delayed dial tone....normal?

Regular Contributor

Delayed dial tone....normal?

I have the HD Premier Triple Play.   CDV is being provided through an Thomson/RCA EMTA and Internet via a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6120).   

I have reported several times that my CDV will often have a delay in getting a dial tone.   The dial tone will be heard, but after about 2 to 5 seconds.   Prior to hearing it, I get very faint static.   There doesn't seem to be any other specific problem, although we have had a couple of calls that didn't ring but went directly to voice mail, despite the fact that we were at home and the phone never rang (caller also reported the call went directly to voice mail).   

When I've called the support folks, the question is usually whether or not the phone works at all, and then possibly I get taken through a hard reset of the EMTA by pressing the reset button with a pin.   I have described the issue and explained that it doesn't appear to affect service or only has those few times (that I know of), and the response is always that if things are working, why am I calling. 

So.....is it normal for there to not be dial tone when you pick up the handset and then have it come on after a few seconds?    Should I just ignore and be happy?

Valued Contributor

Re: Delayed dial tone....normal?

Try this: plug the phone directly into the port labeled "line 1/2" on the back of the eMTA (phone modem) and see if the problem still persists. (please use a simple corded phone for this test, if you do not have one, that's ok, you can use a cordless, and if you wish to purchase a regular corded phone, your local dollar store should have phones under $5. It's always good to have a regular corded phone around the house in case of a power outage when your cordless won't work any more.)

Also, does this happen on all the phones in your home or just one?

Please let me know what results you get with this setup so i can further assist you.

Regular Contributor

wireaudio wrote:

Try this: plug the phone directly into the port labeled "line 1/2" on the back of the eMTA (phone modem) and see if the problem still persists. (please use a simple corded phone for this test, if you do not have one, that's ok, you can use a cordless, and if you wish to purchase a regular corded phone, your local dollar store should have phones under $5. It's always good to have a regular corded phone around the house in case of a power outage when your cordless won't work any more.)

Also, does this happen on all the phones in your home or just one?

Please let me know what results you get with this setup so i can further assist you.

I have both old fashioned analog handsets and digital cordless phones.   Same problem on all handsets in the house.     I will test directly on the EMTA, but the problem doesn't happen for some period after receiving a call or dialing a call.   It's as if there is a timeout that occurs.  

The wiring in my home is only 2 years old and is original, made up of Cat 5 home run by the builder to a punch down panel in the wiring closet.   The Comcast coax feed from the street and EMTA also sit in the closet, and the EMTA is connected via a cable connected off the "Out" RJ11 jack on the panel.    

I won't say 100% that it couldn't possibly be a wiring problem, but I had the exact same handsets connected to the exact same wiring for 2 years, connected to Bellsouth with absolutely no issues.  

Valued Contributor

I understand, however, the best test is to use a corded phone directly to the back of the eMTA. This would eliminate any problems that might be in between, being phone related, interference or wiring related.

Try this and let me know what the result is. If the problem still exists, i would call in and have a trouble call scheduled.

Regular Contributor

OK....took a basic $10 analog handset and connected directly to the EMTA.   Same problem.   Delayed dial tone.  

Thoughts?

Valued Contributor

Sorry for the delay, I have replied to your PM.