Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Dead Phone Jacks

New Poster

Dead Phone Jacks

I was told that I would have service through my wall jacks as normal.  However, I can only get service in the room with the modem.  Any ideas?

Cable Expert

Re: Dead Phone Jacks

If the tech installed it, and didn't backfeed the eMTA phone adapter to the inside wiring, then they should get back out there and correct their mistake.

If you did a self install, then whoever did the install be responsible to connect the eMTA to the inside wiring.

Is this a single family home, or a small or large apartment building?  Manytimes in multiple dwelling units, the Comcast installer would not have access to the telco's connection box, and would not then be able to disconnect the telco's wiring to the apartment or condo.

If this was a Comcast tech who installed this in a single family room, then please post back with details, and it will be handed to the Comcast Cares Team to get the tech back out there.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I have the same problem.  Can we fix ourselves?
Tags (1)
Cable Expert

tjlove wrote:
I have the same problem.  Can we fix ourselves?

The inside phone wiring is owned by the homeowner, so if you know what you are doing, you are welcome to add / fix / change any of it.  Hopefully you know enough about wire colors, how to splice, terminate and run wiring and the difference between the line 1 pair and the line 2 pair, and what to do to prevent the inside wiring from being backfed out into the local Telco's outside plant at the NID.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your quick response to my inquiry.  I don't have knowledge of the wiring so I guess it would be best to contact Comcast to see if a different tech may be able to come and fix the problem.
Tags (1)
New Poster

Same problem here. I had no idea that by opting to "self-install" I would be limited. Had I chosen to have the tech install in the first place, would I have been charged for the install? And of course, now, if I choose to place a service call, I'm sure there would be some charge. Seems to me if I am enrolling in a service with you the provider, I should not incur "service" charges to have the opportunity to pay you more monthly dollars. What would the service call cost? Sorry I sound frustrated, but my install was none too smooth yesterday.