members

online now

discussions

Customer Owned Arris 722G FAQ

Retired Administrator

Customer Owned Arris 722G FAQ

Question

Remediation

I saw a Comcast display in the Home Theater section of Best Buy, which offered eMTAs for customers to purchase. Can you tell me more? 

eMTAs will be available for customer purchase in some Best Buy Connection Center locations. Please do not leave the Best Buy store without registering your equipment with a Comcast Connection Center employee, otherwise your equipment will not work.

Why would I want to buy an eMTA?

The services offered are the same, it is the your preference to own or lease equipment. You may not want to pay monthly to lease a device and would rather purchase the equipment outright in one lump sum.

Do you offer installation? Why can't I install it myself?

At this time only professional installation is available for customers who purchase their own eMTAs. Self installation is currently not offered.

For customers who want to swap out their leased eMTA for a purchased eMTA, the order would still need to be setup as a professional installation and the technician can pickup the leased device and replace it with the purchased device.

Can I return the eMTA to a different Best Buy location from the one that I originally purchased it from? What is the Best Buy return policy?

Please contact Best Buy for their return policy. Customers cannot return leased eMTAs to Best Buy. Comcast owned leased eMTAs must be swapped by a technician or returned to a Comcast service center.

I purchased an Arris eMTA at Best Buy and now it doesn't work. What do I do?

We can troubleshoot a technical issue with your purchased eMTA. If it is determined that there is no issue with Comcast connection and it is determined to be an issue with the device itself, you will have to work directly with Best Buy or Arris. A technician could install a leased device on the customer premises while they work with Best Buy or Arris to resolve the faulty equipment issue. Please note that lease fees will apply for the duration the customer has Comcast owned equipment in their home.

I purchased an eMTA from Best Buy, but it wasn't added to my account properly. What should I do?

To resolve the issue, you must return to the Best Buy store and speak to a Comcast Connection Center employee.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Tags (3)
New Poster

Re: Customer Owned Arris 722G FAQ

I was told by a Comcast Tech (telephone support) that in my area (Seattle, WA), I can buy an approved modem and NOT be required to purchase a tech visit (I can call Comcast and get it provisioned, registered, etc).

I currently have the Triple Play (with telephone).  I want to discontinue my modem rental and purchase a Docsis 3.0 with EMTA (telephony).  What are my modem options?  And do I have to purchase from BestBuy?

Thanks

Contributor

Re: Customer Owned Arris 722G FAQ

Officially, I believe that Best Buy is the outlet that sells approved equipment for Comcast customers.  I know that people buy from each other, off Craigslist, etc. but you run the risk of the equipment still being on a Comcast account somewhere else; or worst case, turning out to be lost or stolen from Comcast.  In either case you wouldn't be able to use the purchased equipment from the 3rd party source. 

I believe if you purchase from Best Buy, there is an activation number that you are given once you have the emta/modem set up.  They complete the provisioning for telephone and/or internet services unless the Seattle market requires professional installation only.