Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cordless Phone Proximity to eMTA

Regular Contributor

Cordless Phone Proximity to eMTA

I'm preparing to go triple-play by adding digital voice service.

We currently have a cordless phone setup (base unit plus extensions.) The phones broadcast on the 1.9 MHz frequency band (DECT 6.0). The base unit is in the kitchen, and our existing modem - which will be replaced by the voice modem - is in another room.

In reply to an earlier post on a similar topic, you advised: "...get the cordless phone base as far away from the eMTA telephony modem as possible.  I'm talking like 25 or 50 feet away..."

1- Same advice for my system, which operates on 1.9 MHz?

2- There is an unused telephone jack in the room where the modem is now, and the jack is 'live'. Can I plug the voice modem into this jack, or must it be attached directly to the base unit?

You can probably see where I'm going here: It's not possible to attach the base unit to the voice modem and have them 25 to 50 feet apart...there's just not enough space.

Problem Solver

Re: Cordless Phone Proximity to eMTA

Make sure to disconnect the house wiring at the junction box from AT&T or Verizon or whatever before you plug in the wire from the modem into the wall jack. 

Then you can plug the modem into the jack and the phone into another jack.  My phone is near my router, and it seems to work ok though.

Regular Contributor

That's good to know. Only problem is that Verizon ran the wire from the pole to a point just below my roof, those buggers, and there's no 'box' outside the house, just a terminal. Looks like I'll be paying Comcast's contractor to do the deed, 'cause I ain't getting up on a ladder that high.

Problem Solver

Usually the outside wire goes to a phone network interface box where the wire from the phone company goes into the box with their own funny screws, and the house side has standard screws

See this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFCWmjdPC2E

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I'm going to look in my basement or possibly my attic for a NID.

Presuming I find what I'm looking for, all I need to do is unplug the phone line from the NID and I am disconnected from Verizon, correct? And my telephony modem will become my new NID?

Comcast already said they would 'wire my home for voice service' so I should probably let them do this. Considering how little the phone rep said it would cost, this is possibly what they plan on doing.

Problem Solver

That's it, you open the screw and there is a phone jack with a wire that plugs into it, and you unplug the wire.

Regular Contributor

This could also be helpful...and it's from Verizon's own website:

NID Troubleshooting

Problem Solver

It looks great. 

This verizon troubleshooter looks great.

https://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/vzrepair/vziha/requestrepair.aspx?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_ZZ_N_X22...

It looks like it can reset cable boxes and fix things remotely and do diagnostics online.

Regular Contributor

Well, I found the wires. As it turns out, I do not have an actual box. What I have instead are two ancient-looking black plates, with 5 or 6 screw terminals on each. I can see the red, green, black and yellow wires - a few blue ones too - but they're part of a bird's nest that makes it very difficult to follow where the wires are going. I am not going to mess around with that spaghetti factory.

Problem Solver

I think that is the classic old phone wiring red and green are the first circuit, and black and yellow are the second circuit (if you have one).  Sometimes one of these wires was a ground and party line phones rang on one party to ground and between red and green for the other.

I have no idea about blue wires.  I bet there is information about that sort of thing on google.