Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cordless Phone Doesn't Work; Corded Phone Does

New Poster

Cordless Phone Doesn't Work; Corded Phone Does

We recently had Comcast Digital Voice installed at our home.  We had Time Warner's digital phone service back in Cincinnati and had no problems with it at all, so we figured we'd be safe with Comcast.

When the installer was here, he simply hooked a phone to the modem and demonstrated that everything worked.  Yesterday, we plugged the modem into a phone jack so that we could use any of the jacks in the house.  Then I took the corded phone downstairs and plugged it into the kitchen jack--it worked just fine.  However, when I plug the cordless phone into that same jack, it does not work.

I plugged the cordless phone directly into the modem, and it doesn't work that way either.  I've ensured that the cordless phone has power and the handset is fully charged, but I still cannot get the cordless phone to detect the dial tone.

This is the same cordless phone that we used with the Time Warner digital phone service with no problems at all.  We are perplexed.  Are there any troubleshooting steps for getting a cordless phone to work with Digital Voice?

Note: this is a Toshiba 2.4GHz Digital Spread Spectrum phone that is roughly 8 years old; but again, it worked like a charm in our old house in Ohio.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cordless Phone Doesn't Work; Corded Phone Does

Maybe the cable is bad, try using a cable from phone that works. If it's a multi-line phone make sure you're using the right port. When was the last time you replaced the battery in the phone? Eight years is really old. 

Gary

New Poster

I was actually using the same phone cable as I was using with the corded phone.  The batteries are about a year old, and it shows they are fully charged.  The phone attempts to pick up, but it fails to detect the dial tone.  It's a single line phone too.

I had a different cordless phone that failed to work with Time Warner digital phone, but this one worked just fine.  I wonder what is special about the digital phone that causes the cordless phones to fail--perhaps the power level emitted onto the lines?
Frequent Visitor

Sounds possible. Did you try testing the wireless phone at a neighbor? That could confirm a dead phone or point to the modem.

They may look at you strange, but it might save you some aggravation... Bring a couple of beers ... :-)