Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Controlling home alarm system with phone handset

Frequent Visitor

Controlling home alarm system with phone handset

I recently turned my home alarm system back on and discovered I could no longer control the alarm system through the handset.  I could do this prior to having CDV installed.  The security system uses * and # codes, but CDV interprets these as invalid commands.  The security system is unmonitored.  Any idea on how I can control the security system through the handset?

Cable Expert

Re: Controlling home alarm system with phone hands

Normally a alarm panel is connected in series between the eMTA and the inside phone wiring.  If the installer wasn't aware of the special wiring for the RJ31X jack for the alarm panel, then the eMTA is just backfed into the inside phone wiring.

You will need a pro that knows how to wire the RJ31X jack into the inside phone wiring, so it can seize the line for an emergency dialout, and the house phones can access the alarm panel.  If the panel was activie and in place when Comcast installed the CDV, then they would be responsible to make it right.  Otherwise, a professional low voltage contractor, the alarm installation company or Comcast to rewire it to be wired in properly.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Controlling home alarm system with phone hands

I got the same reply from Comcast.  Disappointing.  I mentioned the alarm system when Comcast installed my bundled service Jan '11.  The installer said I should give them a call if I turn the security system back on.

I guess I could switch to the other local cable company and let them deal with the problem.