Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Continuing Porting Issues With Comcast

Frequent Visitor

Continuing Porting Issues With Comcast

About a month ago I called Comcast for an upgrade to a triple play package. My concern in the past was that my current phone number with Vonage could not be ported, although the rep on the phone advised me that in fact my Vonage number could be ported. Very pleased at this point, I could get this done and have all three services under one billing umbrella and save some money. About 7 to 10 business days went by and I had heard nothing on the porting completion, but the tech had come to my home and installed an Aris voice/internet modem. I phoned Comcast to check progress on porting. The second rep I spoke with looked over my order and advised me that I had not authorized the third party verification process and that would need to be done before the porting could proceed. Fine, I went through the process and began waiting....  again..... and waiting...... Finaly, I called Comcast to check status...  again... and the rep, after reviewing my order advised my order was on hold and a a "ticket" attached to it as there was a portability issue. After research, I was told that my porting could not happen because the origin of the phone number which I was porting was not in the same rate center as where I was now living. So, now, what I have a problem with is all the time I have spent on the phone with Comcast over the past month and I am right back to the begining when I first called to order a new package, and if the number truly cannot be ported, I have to make another appointment to have a tech come to the house and put everything back the way it was at the begining, this means taking more time off from work, and I don't get paid if I'm not on the job! Very frustrating experience with Comcast, a lot of wasted time on my part. I have been nothing but a loyal customer since signing on with Comcast back in 2007, maybe it is time to look at other cable providers.

Signed,

Very Frustrated

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Porting Issues With Comcast

I changed out my modem last week and my phones have not worked right since.  All calls go to voice mail, and my phones do not ring in the house.

It is a porting / settings issue and they keep putting me thru hoops.  They also did not give me credit for truning in the modem.

New Poster

I gave up porting my number from ATT after more than a month waiting and received a new number from Comcast. It still doesn't work, with the same issue (all calls go to voicemail without ringing) and I spent time listening to " all representatives are busy".
Frequent Visitor

Back in the early 2000's the FCC starting allowing people to keep their phone numbers for life. But don't be fooled, it's only if it's a cell phone number or a number used with VOIP or similar technology, in some cases, you can transfer  landlines if you transfer to the same rate center which is comprises of some similar geographical location. Seems, at least in my case that the Comcast reps (two of them) that handled my order early on SHOULD have been educated on this process. I've wasted so much time on the phone, on hold and waiting for a tech to come to my home. Comcast did reimburse me with a discount on my next bill, which I appreciated, but my time is more valuable. Got an install appointment with Direct TV in a week. Can't waste any more time with Comcast.