Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Connection setup internet / Digital phone / wireless

Regular Visitor

Connection setup internet / Digital phone / wireless

I would like to start by saying if my question has been answered before I do apologize.  I had looked through all the forums as well as FAQ’s but I have yet to secure an answer.  My son has Comcast cable, internet and now digital voice.  He had asked me to setup his computers (desktop & laptop) to connect to the internet wirelessly. Both systems do have wireless G cards installed. I know with my setup I was able to plug the cable from the wall in the following configuration:

Wall cable to cable modem, Cat5e cable from the cable modem to Linksys router, Cat5e cable from the Linksys router to Vonage base unit.

Is there any documentation/setup instruction I can reference that would display wiring installation for me to use?  Since I use the Linksys WRT54GS or is there a particular router that is preferred over the other?  I thank you in advance for any positive suggestions.

Regular Contributor

Re: Connection setup internet / Digital phone / wireless

No difference from your setup.  Only thing will be if he wants the CDV throughout the house.  Then you would want to unplug the phone companies line at the NID.  Then just plug the cable modem phone cord into a wall phone jack and he can plug in any phone through out the house for CDV.

Router doesn't make a difference either..I have used a zyxel 334WT and just switched to a Linksys WRV200.