Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Connection and modem problems

New Poster

Connection and modem problems

Yesterday I was without internet or VOIP service for 3 hours.  Today it was more like 6 hours.  My call to customer service put me on hold for 30 minutes, and then a tech took my info (several times), told me that she needed to schedule someone to come to my home, tried (unsuccessfully) to sell me a monthly service insurance package, and then disconnected me when she went off to check the service schedule.  She had my cell number, which I used because I had no VOIP connection, but never called back.  The promised survey call to ask about my experience with the help line also never came.

My take on the situation is that the problem is really with the new Xfinity modem/router combo from SMC, since service has never been totaly stable since it came in a few months ago.  Until today, however, resetting the router has always solved the connection problem.

Do I have a viable solution short of firing Comcast and going back to the phone company for internet and phone service?  While I'm at it, should I also look at alternative TV services?  DirectTV looks pretty good right now.