Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Configuring new AIO printer/FAX and VoIP

Frequent Visitor

Configuring new AIO printer/FAX and VoIP

We recently retired an old HP printer and a Sharp stand-alone FAX machine w/ corded handset, and replaced with new Canon MX-892 AIO+FAX (no handset).  The old setup was done according to Comcast installer recommendation (for single-number digital voice service), with the modem telephony TEL-1 jack patched to one IN port of a two-way splitter, the FAX connected to the second IN port, and the splitter OUT patched to wall jack  for servicing all downstream telephone connections.  Everything worked as expected for the time we had this setup.  It was deemed important that the FAX machine be directly connected to modem (or through a line splitter) first, and then and only then are connections made to phones downstream of FAX.  Long story short: the new AIO/FAX is downstairs, far removed from modem, so I made the following connection configuration: (1) modem TEL-1 jack patched directly to upstairs telephone wall jack; (2) AIO-FAX connected to convenient downstairs wall jack, and that's it.  Plugged into house LAN, set up new network printer, and in business!  I used the HP "FaxBack System Test" (1-888-473-2963) to check system, and everything performed satisfactorily (manually set AIO for FAX-only during test period).  For the latter, I used default FAX settings of TX/RX = 33600bps and ECM enabled. 

Question: Should I change BAUD RATE to 9600bps (or14400), and disable ECM for optimal performance when FAXing lengthy or heavily wordy docs? 

Cable Expert

Re: Configuring new AIO printer/FAX and VoIP

Many times the baud rate needs lowering to 9600 on CDV, U-Verse or other VOIP lines.  You will only know by trying it, if long faxes fail line quality and error's out.  It might just automatically adjust the baud rate automatically.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon