Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast tells me to cancel AT&T to finish porting

Frequent Visitor

Comcast tells me to cancel AT&T to finish porting

I signed up with Comcast for internet and voice back in June, and was provided a phone number by Comcast for the voice service. Everything was working great. On Aug 19 I requested a number port to be made to bring my old phone number (currently active with AT&T) over to the Comcast account. After 6 days of no updates (or porting), I called to inquire. The rep issued a ticket with the 'engineers' as she saw the number active on my account, but didn't know why the port didn't work.

Since that phone call, I lost ALL voice service with Comcast (no dialtone). If calling the ported number, it still rings on the old AT&T line (I never cancelled the account).

When I called Comcast today for an update (even though the 'engineer group' was suppose to call me back within 24 hours, which they didn't), the rep assured me that the number was ported over to Comcast, as it's listed on my account. But to finish the porting process and have it ring on the Comcast line, I had to call AT&T and cancel the account.

I've ported this number at least 2 times in the past, and NEVER had to initiate an account cancellation to complete a port. I'm afraid of cancelling with AT&T and losing this phone number forever. I know that you're NOT suppose to cancel an account, but leave it active, when porting a number.

Is the Comcast phone rep right or wrong in this instance?

Update: I just called AT&T and they confirmed that Comcast never requested a port of my number, and that cancelling my account at this point with them would cause me to lose the number entirely. What is going on with Comcast and their support? It is so POOR at this point it's ridiculous. What do I have to do to get my number ported and functional?

Official Employee

Re: Comcast tells me to cancel AT&T to finish

Best way to tell if it has been ported for sure is to plug a phone directly into the back of the modem and call somebody or your cell and see what the number is. When a number is ported it essentially cancels that service for you, you need to call in if you're canceling other services with AT&T that you are switching over, but don't don't cancel phone until it is ported for sure.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

As of right now, I have no dial tone on my Comcast phone line (been 2 days like this), and my number is still with AT&T and active (rings on that line). Yet, Comcast has the AT&T number associated with my Comcast account and says it's ported to them.

I am paying for Voice service with Comcast, which they are not providing. And their reps are telling me to cancel my service with AT&T, which I know is not correct.

Official Employee

Power cycle your modem (if you have a battery take it out) plug it back in and see if you have lights on line 1. It sounds like they took away the native number they gave you but haven't provisioned your ported number to the modem

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Andrew, it goes deeper than that, and has nothing to do with power cycling the modem.

After 4 phone reps couldn't figure out what was going on (the last one telling me to cancel my AT&T account/number), I tried the online chat. That chat rep figured out the issue and started getting it resolved.

Turns out the porting failed (with an error), but Comcast's system considered it complete (despite the error). Thus, Comcast's records thought they had the number and all was fine, but it was never ported over from AT&T. The online chat rep (working with the porting department) corrected the error and resubmitted the port request.

Furthermore, the chat rep was able to reprovision my modem and enable the dial tone. I can now make outgoing calls, and the number shown on caller ID is the 'to be ported' number; I just can't receive calls until the port is complete (which is fine).

Bottom line is that Comcast's system couldn't properly handle a failed port request, and EVERY phone rep I spoke with was INCAPABLE of resolving the problem correctly.

A note to customer's reading this: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CANCEL YOUR PHONE SERVICE ON YOUR OLD NUMBER UNTIL IT IS FULLY PORTED AND WORKING ON YOUR COMCAST LINE, NO MATTER WHAT THE COMCAST REPS TELL YOU. I would have lost my phone number, which I've had for over 10 years, if I had listened to the last Comcast phone rep.

Regular Visitor

I see some horror stories here, but I know for a fact that porting your number cancels your account (at least at Verizon). Canceling your account prior to port completion simply releases your number to your canceled vendor for reuse.

MagicJack, from which I will attempt a port shortly, says that their process is:

1. Have Comcast do the port request.

2. MJ will send me an email asking for $30.00 to allow the port.

3. When they have charged my credit card, Comcast will get the number.

We'll see.

Frequent Visitor

New2CVoice,

I've ported a number out of Magicjack. You do NOT have to pay the $30 fee. That is purely optional and Magicjack's way of trying to get more money out of you. Been there, done that. Just ignore the $30 bill/invoice, and if Comcast does their job properly (good luck), the number will be ported with no further actions by you.

Regular Visitor

cartuner wrote:

New2CVoice,

I've ported a number out of Magicjack. You do NOT have to pay the $30 fee. That is purely optional and Magicjack's way of trying to get more money out of you. Been there, done that. Just ignore the $30 bill/invoice, and if Comcast does their job properly (good luck), the number will be ported with no further actions by you.

So much for the value of the forum. It's only valuable if you monitor it. If I'd seen your entry I'd have saved $30. Magic Jack turned call forwarding back on and I'm back with them now. They only charged me $10 to port the number back in. So now I've spent $40 bucks, but I'm happy now.

Thanks for the post, sorry I didn't check it.