Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast rep won't turn On the phone line on the otorola sbv5220

Regular Visitor

Comcast rep won't turn On the phone line on the otorola sbv5220

Hi, I am a first timer here. I am having problems with comcast not being able to activate the phone line on the motorola sbv5220 modem. I have tripple package from Comcast and when i tried to activate the modem, the rep only activated the Internet line. He won't activate the phone line saying that EMTA belongs to someone else. How can something belong to someone else when they're not using it? I have the modem and they are able to activate the Internet line but not the phone line. This does not make any sense?? Can someone please help me here?
Problem Solver

Re: Comcast rep won't turn On the phone line on the otorola sbv5220

Did Comcast supply this EMTA or did you buy it through Craig's list or some other online source?

If it is branded by Comcast (has their logo on it) and you bought it online, it may be reported stolen. 

If a friend gave it to you, they should be able to contact Comcast and clear it up.  If they gave it to you, they are probably still paying the rental fee on it and probably would appreciate the chance to remove the charge from their bill.

Regular Visitor

I bought it on craigslist thinking that it would work with out any problems. How can comcast activate the internet line ONLY if it's stolen?? Wouldn't Comcast know if the modem was stolen just by retrieving the info by MAC ID? I tried my best to activate the phone line and everytime the answer i got was EMTA is in someone else's name.
Email Expert

If Comcast was renting the EMTA to another customer, they're required to return it to Comcast or pay a fee. I don't think Comcast's systems are set up to allow customers to transfer modems between each other. You basically bought stolen property. Since it's Comcast's modem, they expect to continue to receive a rental fee for it.

As for why it works on the Internet, I guess they have separate provisioning for Internet and voice, and only the voice part checks for this. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

So, what can you do?

1.  Get in touch with the person you bought it from and return it to them and get your money back.

2.  Go to your nearest Comcast office and turn it in and rent one from them.  They will be happy to get their stolen property back. Maybe you can use that to your advantage with a negotiated discount. Smiley Happy

3.  Buy a new one from a legitimate source (not that Craig's List isn't legitimate) like Best Buy, Amazon, etc.  Here is a link to the Comcast-approved modems.

Regular Visitor

Thank you all so much for your help!! I was just surprised that Internet line could be activated and phone line couldn't. I will try to contact the peson who i bought it from and if that doesn't work out, then i am returning it back to comcast. Smiley Happy
Problem Solver

I don't know, just speculating:  Perhaps the original owner of that modem only used it for CDV and it was never activated for internet service.