Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast phone service scam?

New Poster

Comcast phone service scam?

I've been with Comcast for a VERY long gime... Currently, I have Comcast internet and basic cable service with no contract... I was going to cancel it all and they convinced me to keep this package, which I was ok with.  So today, after a few months, I get a phone call from someone that claimed to be from comcast.  The Caller ID also said Comcast, so I assume it was.  She said that I had to agree to a contract to continue my discounted plan for the length of said contract.  I was fine with that, so I said ok.  She then said that she was going to transfer me to another company who did the actual sign-up.  When she transferred me, I got an automated system that immediately told me "By continuing, you are agreeing to use X-Finity Voice for your local and long distance service" and began to ask me to answer questions... I obviously hung up, since I have no plan to switch to X-Finity Voice service for my home phone service.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I'm calling tomorrow and looking into the pricing for switching to DSL... it's slower, but I cannot believe that a company that I've been a customer with for *30* years would do something so shady!

New Poster

Re: Comcast phone service scam?

Received a call today from 800-266-2278.  Was told I had exceeded my long distance minutes.  I said that I was busy and would call back.  I called Comcast right away.  My account had unlimited local and long distance and that 800-266-2278 was not a Comcast number.

Gold Problem Solver

dbairds wrote: ... 800-266-2278 was not a Comcast number.

Sure it is: 800-266-2278 = 800-Com-cast. But scammers can spoof their caller ID info, so a legit number does not necessarily mean a legit caller.

Regular Visitor

Today I have run into the same underhanded way of offering me a lower price.  The two representatives I talked with talk so fast, I could hardly keep up with them, much less understand what they were saying.  Both of the reps knew I didn't want the phone service.  When I hung up, I decided to look on this forum.  A lot of folks have been suckered into getting the phone service so I decided to check back with Comcast and make sure we were both on the same page - no phone service.  When I connected with the third representative, he said that yes I was going to get the phone service at the same lower price.  When I explained to him that I did not want the phone, he figured with only the internet and the TV that I would be paying over $200.00!  I was only paying $142.00, which was escalating almost monthly to begin witih.  When I told the rep I would have to change to another service, he all of a sudden realized he could give me a special deal for $112.00 a month - with HBO and more channels.  I don't like playing these games and I really feel I can't trust Comcast.  If I find that they are not as good as their word, I'll have to say GOOD BYE.

Tags (1)
New Poster

it's a sign of the times. everyone is trying to screw/steal/scam/swindle your money. These mega companies have no morals and are protected by our corrupt government that does not allow fair competition. Only one cable provider is allowed.

My biggest rub with comcast is that on my cable bill, I have to pay for dozens Mexican stations that I don't want to receive or pay for. (Don't kid yourself, there is a cost for these stations being piped into your house). There is something very unlawful about this, when Americans are forced subsidize entitlements for Mexicans. I'm guessing my bill could be cut $20-$50 if these stations were not included in my cable package...   Oh that right, if we had a choice of turning them off, comcast would no longer be able to provide this service a the Mexicans would be disinfranchised.

New Poster

The same  encounter happen to me , i don't have phone service with comcast / xfinity, NEVER DID  have  A PHONE OR SERVICE, AND they still CHARGE ME  $9.00 , ON MY BILL I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS HOW CAN THEY DO THAT.i keep getting the run-a-round with customers service.

Valued Contributor

4343dek wrote:

The same  encounter happen to me , i don't have phone service with comcast / xfinity, NEVER DID  have  A PHONE OR SERVICE, AND they still CHARGE ME  $9.00 , ON MY BILL I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS HOW CAN THEY DO THAT.i keep getting the run-a-round with customers service.

Do you have internet?

$9 modem rental?