Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast messed up our phone number when moving

Regular Contributor

Comcast messed up our phone number when moving

We recently transferred service to a new address and it's been a huge nightmare. Among other things, they mistakenly assigned us a new phone number without telling us, when they were supposed to transfer the number we've had for the last 8+ years. We moved within the same county and area code, but after about 20 calls to customer service the last guy said something about a rate center mismatch and that we couldn't keep the old number. Is this true? What can we do to get our number back?

Problem Solver

Re: Comcast messed up our phone number when moving

Yes that is true that when you move within a county to another city or even in the same city.  Your number may have to be changed.  Comcast does not physically own the telephone numbers customers have.  They are leased from other companies.

Regular Contributor

If I used AT&T for a landline and moved within the same area code, I would keep the same AT&T number. It's logical to assume that transferring service locally would also transfer the Comcast phone number. They never mentioned that it would change. All because of some E911 limitation?

Problem Solver

No you would not. A city can have multiple Central Offices. Each one assigned a certain prefix of exchanges. With that, you cannot just move to one part of the city to the other and expect to keep the same phone number. That is the problem with Comcast. They have to abide now by the same rules as a land line based telephone provider. Because they are considered a telephone company.

Now if the customer had say Ooma, Vonage or another VoIP company. Then it really would not matter where they lived. Due to the phone number is assigned to the device they have, not a physical address.
Regular Visitor

Did you do a carrier verification over the phone ahead of your move in order to keep the number? I just moved, same town, and switched from Centurylink. After Comcast connected service at new place, I then disconnected service at previous residence and my number of 20+ years was released to Comast.

Regular Contributor

Deke45 wrote:

Did you do a carrier verification over the phone ahead of your move in order to keep the number?

No, we weren't trying to port a number. The old number is Comcast too. We were only transferring Comcast voice service from one location to another within the same area code.

Regular Visitor

Unfortunalely there isn't a darn thing you can do to retreive your old phone #. I had the same problem last year. They disconnected my # instead of transfering it. I had transferred my # from Verizon to Comcast  5 years before I moved. When they disconnected it, it went back to  Verizon. Comcast assigned a new phone # to me without telling me. It's a year later and I'm still having problems. The apartment complex  i live in will not alllow sattilite, and Verizon FiOS is not available. We're all senior citizens and captive to Comcast .