Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast in the Battery selling business now?

New Poster

Comcast in the Battery selling business now?

Well,  I have a modem that I received from Comcast November 2012 .   Some weeks ago Comcast sent me a letter that my emergency back up battery in the modem had failed.  So, I called the numbers they gave me to get my problem "fixed"  ... what I found on that telephone number was what seems like a vendor who is in the business of selling expensive batteries.

From my view,  I was supplied a modem by Comcast and then six months later the battery quit working ( if it indeed ever worked ).  I think for my monthly rental fees  that I should have been supplied with a new battery because the old one was defective or actually old as in a recycled modem that had been in use by someone else for who knows how long.

Telling me that in addition to all the other charges on my bill that I need to buy a $35 plus S & H charges I think is  really bad business.  

Now these batteries are supposed to have a life of up to 10 years  ....  getting six months from a battery is totally unacceptable.

Contributor

Re: Comcast in the Battery selling business now?

I am very surprised that comcast rents there expensive equipment to customers . Comcast how else would you be in bussiness without these boxes. And then to find out that you want us to pay if battery fails. You must look at how you do bussiness. I pay over 35.00 just on rentals

Respectfully

New Poster

Phone lines have been around for decades and have worked even when power is out.  However, Comcast now expects you to pay them extra to provide you phone service if power is out.

Frequent Visitor

In total agreement with opinion that a back up battery should be provide. Comast is the one replacing the modems with a new model. We pay monbthly rental fee for this equipment, it should come with a back- up battery!  Anyone know if a back up battery can be purchase from Radio Shack without the markup that Comcast is charging?  I will forgo the back up for now because I am ready thinking about just cancelling Comcast all together. There rates keeps climbing and service keeps going the other direction. They are my highest utility bill!!

Regular Visitor

I got a letter today that informed me my modem maynot work at the full range of speeds. My present modem has a battery.  The letter said the new one doens't have a battery.  I am unhappy about it. I don't know had had a problem either.  This is BS.

Frequent Visitor

What is worst, the new modem seems slower and cuts in and out on both internet and phone service than the old modem I had...now, I have to schedule a service call....so unhappy with comcast service.

New Poster

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with customer support (oxy moron) and was told I will have to buy a battery for my new modem. 

Just so I understand - Comcast doesn't care if 911 service doesn't work during a power outage? Hmmm, seems to me they didn't run this one past their lawyers...

I guess the $200+/month isn't enough to cover the battery.

flrich wrote:

Well,  I have a modem that I received from Comcast November 2012 .   Some weeks ago Comcast sent me a letter that my emergency back up battery in the modem had failed.  So, I called the numbers they gave me to get my problem "fixed"  ... what I found on that telephone number was what seems like a vendor who is in the business of selling expensive batteries.

From my view,  I was supplied a modem by Comcast and then six months later the battery quit working ( if it indeed ever worked ).  I think for my monthly rental fees  that I should have been supplied with a new battery because the old one was defective or actually old as in a recycled modem that had been in use by someone else for who knows how long.

Telling me that in addition to all the other charges on my bill that I need to buy a $35 plus S & H charges I think is  really bad business.  

Now these batteries are supposed to have a life of up to 10 years  ....  getting six months from a battery is totally unacceptable.

flrich wrote:

Iwonderifthismessagewillreachcorporate?

Official Employee

Re: Is a modem battery necessary for voice?

A battery is needed if the power goes out but if your phones are all electric it won't make a difference

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

The battery doesn't affect Internet speeds, and if your phones are electric a backup battery won't matter in a power outage

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Unless they also have battery backups of course. The handsets and the base.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I just got my new modem in mid-June and now I learn that in addition to paying a fortune for my "bundle", I'm expected to fork out for a battery.  They installed the modem with NO BATTERY to begin with.  Lousy business and it certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth of this long-time customer!!!  jbsunny