Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast has incorrect caller ID information

New Poster

Comcast has incorrect caller ID information

When my son calls home using his cell phone, the caller ID shows a stranger's name.  His cell phone number is associated with this person's name in Comcast's database, even though he's had this number for a year.  I called the 1-800-comcast number twice and have had no result.  The very nice Comcast technicians told me that Comcast contracts with a third party company to use their caller ID database, so they can't do anything directly.  Is there anything that CAN be done?

Cable Expert

Re: Comcast has incorrect caller ID information

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will look into the issue

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Just to understand, your son calls your house from his cell phone and another ID comes up under his name. I can change the caller ID display but only if the phone number is a Comcast phone number. All telephone companies use the same Database to input the phone number with the correct name. If the caller ID is wrong on the cell phone then that company has to be contacted to change the display name. Please let me know.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

New Poster

Larry, my son's cell phone is from Verizon but I have spent lots of time on the phone with Verizon and they say that it has nothing to do with them.  They say that they do not maintain or use a caller ID database.  Whe my son calls home he is coming in on a Comcast line (our home is a Comcast customer), so they think that it is down to Comcast's database.

Problem Solver

Every company use a database system that has the caller ID on it. It's called Targus. It's the responsibility of the callers provider to provide accurate caller ID information. When your son calls your home it's on the Verizon network so that means they provide the caller id information. Now if you were having the issue, when you call someone and the caller id display shows something different then your name, that would be a Comcast issue because we own that telephone number.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

New Poster

Hi again Larry, I wanted to let you know that after repeated phone calls Verizon did take care of it.  Thank you again for giving me the information that I needed to talk to Verizon. 

In case anyone needs to know how to get this done, make sure you talk to a person from "technical support" at Verizon, because the support people who answer your call (after you make it through the voice mail maze) will not be able to help you.  It takes an IT person to send in the caller ID change request to Targus.  And then it takes about 72 hours for the change to take effect.