Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast downgrading call blocking ability?

New Poster

Comcast downgrading call blocking ability?

A software change was made a few days ago which has very bad consequences.

The website is https://vm.connect.comcast.net/OptimusUI/voiceapp/ , which allows one to display Voicemail, Missed Calls, Placed Calls or Trash. The change involves deleting the telephone number from the panel with the headers "From", which is now callerid, and "Received" which is a date and time. Previously this panel included the telephone number.

Before this change I was able to use the "Find" function in any browser to scroll through all calls from a number (or a few digits from number) typed into the "Find" box of the browser. Thus when lists of blocked (or forwarded) numbers reach the maximun, I could use this to quickly go through the lists of blocked numbers and check on the number of calls and their dates. This made it easy to see who had stopped calling (or switched spoofed numbers) so I could delete inactive numbers from my block and forward lists. I found that, using the "Find" function, I could review the lists about monthly to keep enough space in block lists to allow adding the obvious new robocalls. 

Because the telephone numbers have been removed from the panel containing "From" and "Received", the "Find" function is nearly useless. This is because this panel now contains the CallerID (and not the number), while the block lists contain only the number. It also seems that many spammers change their CallerID more frequently than they change numbers, so many CallerID's can be from the same number.  

I think this software change should be reversed because it has deleted useful information in the records which can  be searched using universal browser features. True the telephone numbers are still there - if you sort through all the CallerIDs one by one, but this requires much more time and effort.

I am disappointed that the architects of this code did not anticipate this problem.

Restructuring the format of the data in a way which impedes analysis is a tremendous downgrade to already meager call blocking tools. Please revert to the previous version (just a few days ago) or put the telephone number back in the panel which is accessed by the browser "Find" function! It is difficult to justify referencing the block and forward lists to telephone numbers while listing the calls in the searchable panel by CallerID, the latter being a completely independent and changeable variable for unscrupulous telemarketers. With the level of effort required to maintain blocklists after this change, I am seriously considering eliminating my "landline" altogether. What a shame! 

Anyone have a workaround or a better way to easily update block and forward lists?